Shop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
I recently thought of an idea, I have several small capacity IDE hard drives sitting in my room, why not use them?

Well, I've thrown around ideas of backup, general storage or otherwise but I want to build a kind of multifunction PC. One that friends, visitors or just about anyone can jump on.

With that, I need suggestions on a motherboard, chaining multiple IDE drives and if my idea is really 'good'. I think i could do some neat stuff with a kick around PC. Since it's not going to be on much at all, the tower size should be minimal with minimum specs.

Any suggestions or directions?

What size are these IDE drives? If they are larger in size (120GB or more each) you may want to look into something that is similar to NAS but compatible with IDE drives. Also, this is sometimes expensive. Basically, a group of 3 or more IDE drives in one PC wouldn't make much sense unless they are networked in the way I just mentioned.

If it is just a kick around pc, and the IDE drives are smaller in size, just use one as a master, one as a slave and use one IDE cable. Simple and all you would really need.

alright, if i wanted to network the several smaller hard drives two of which are 40GB, from what your telling me, i should just use those two besides all 4 i have in one simple pc. Could I network that one PC with say 40+ GB of space on it in my home? is that what NAS is for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom