Shader Model 3.0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesker

Solid State Member
Howdy, I got a question about the new cards from ATI and Nvidia. Nvidia 6800 ULTRA supports Shader Model 3.0 but ATI X800 series doesnt. What I want to know is, is it something that ATI can suppoert down the line with updated drivers, or is it something that is hardwired into the card?

Second, anyone know WHY ATI opted not to support it? Thanks a lot.

They have to make a new card to do it. (i think). They took them out for increase in performance rather than quality images. Although my 6800 has both :D

No they can't because it adds 60 million transistors and increase power usage as a results as on the 6800

Pixel Shader 3.0 is why it is better to go with Nvidia than ATI if you need a new card at this point in time. All the X800 is is a supercharged version of the 9800XT, while the GeForce 6800 with PS3.0 is part of a completely different generation of video cards. You will definately need a 6800 if you want to take advantages of DX9c's PS3.0 features.

beedubaya said:
Pixel Shader 3.0 is why it is better to go with Nvidia than ATI if you need a new card at this point in time. All the X800 is is a supercharged version of the 9800XT, while the GeForce 6800 with PS3.0 is part of a completely different generation of video cards. You will definately need a 6800 if you want to take advantages of DX9c's PS3.0 features.

the X800 series has a completely different GPU than the 9800xt

If it were even close do you think the x800 would DOUBLE the 9800xt's performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom