Rebuilding plastic nut mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
My Acer 4230 travelmate laptop's screen/cover had some slack in the hinges so a few weeks ago I tightened the hinges where they attach to the body. This helped but did not completely fix the wiggle.

So I took the LCD panel completely off today and found that the top left screw mount is broke as is the bottom left screw mount where the monitor attaches to the back cover. I was going to try to rebuild the mounts and set the nuts into some epoxy but my epoxy is dried up (part A) so I am trying to find if there is a better material to use to try this technique. Or if it will even work, or if someone has another idea.

Here is the broken hinge mount , you can see the red arrow pointing to the broken plastic below.

Here it is with the hinge off: You can see that the plastic nut holder is totally blown out so I would need to form a new one.

And here is the screw that is on the top corner that is not as crucial since it does not bear the weight of the hinges etc.
the whole top part of the plastic nut holder is broke here as you can see.

Any ideas would be great. I should have sent this off for warranty work when I first noticed the problem but shipping it off to Texas for who knows how long was not a good option. Now if I sent it in they most likely would not honor the warranty since I opened it and I was told they would charge $489 if the techs felt I had F^%U% with it.

So If it seems impossible to fix the two nut mounts then I do not want to mess it up with glues etc and maybe I will send it in and see what happens.

I really really do not want to send it in. I just need those screws to be tight and secure.

I may even consider using some type of t-nut from the outside but I would rather stay away from this option.

ideas?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom