I have NO clue what is going on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSeven

In Runtime
Greets,

Well, i was using my computer browsing the internet, on a teamspeak, listening to WMP, and i had photoshop open (but was barely using it) and all of a sudden it froze up, the sound got all messed up (like the last sound that was heard was just being dragged out) and i couldnt do anything so i shut it down and then put it back on, the light that indicates that power is on wouldnt go on but the computer was still running. so i proceeded to unplug a few things (cd drives and 1 fan) then the light would come on...so the computer starts up and seems to be working fine and then the computer crashes in the same way as it did before. so i take everything off the mobo (except processor and processor fan) i dust everything off put it all back in and it all appears to be working well except that when i put the monitor back in it wont work. the monitor just sits in standby. my graphics card is running and everything is plugged in as it should be. but it just dont work (the monitor)

so is this a power problem, graphics card problem, monitor problem, or something else?

system specs:

intel pentium 4 3.0ghz
250 gb Hard drive (western digital)
3 gigs of RAM
Nvidia 8600 256mb graphics card
430 watt psu
mobo is a foxcon 915 i believe

currently unplugged:
fan with blue light
cd drive
dvd/cd/cd-r/cd-rw/dvd-r/dvd-rw/etc etc...

regards and thanks for help.

Sorry to say it, but I think it's the processor thats gone. A heating issue might have been the cause, but whatever happened made your cpu blow.

okay thanks man, ill head over to best buy after school and see what's up..

EDIT: best buy was completely useless (of course but i thought i'd give them a try) they tried making me wipe my whole hard drive...no thanks.

anyways, now that i am at home i was able to double check and make sure everything was dusted off and such, it is. when i try to start the computer it does one or all of the following:

1. Power seems to start up but the power light doesnt come up and the computer shuts down after about 15 seconds. No monitor or anything

2. Power starts up i hear a beep (as usual) and it comes to the first startup screen (the mobo startup) then it shuts off shortly after.

3. power starts up and i hear a long beep (no so usual) and the computer shuts off.

i dont believe that this is a hard drive problem now. It is either a processor, power, or possibly heating. if anyone else could help that would be very nice.

regards.

Check how hot your cpu is getting while you're doing those boots.
Is the beep in no.3 A long beep which keeps on going with no breaks, or long beeps? Usually long beeps means memory error, and a long beep which don't stop is a cpu error.

If you take your memory out and turn it on what does it do? Try using another stick if you have one lying around. If it's beeping once sometimes, it's most likely not the CPU since it would fail at the POST. It could be the motherboard itself that's overheating. Check your northbridge temp and post that too.

okay, as soon as i get home ill check all the temps. and one time it was a very long beep, but every time the computer started up before there was a single small beep when the computer booted up...basically to indicate the computer booted up.

anyways, a friend of mine should be sending me a new processor (same kind) and ill see if that fixes, if not ill have to wait for another friend to get his tax return so he can upgrade his comp and give me his less then a year old mobo, processor, and memory...

thanks for help so far.

when i turn it on, the motherboard has no signs of heat.

the comp just turn on now and nothing happens except it sounds like it is all running but no start up screens at all.

when i felt around the processor, no heat, so im guessing the processor is completely dead or i wasnt feeling close enough

Yeah I'd say the processor is completely gone. When you get the other processor of your mate install it and post how it goes. hopefully ur problem should be fixed.

ive gotten a new mobo (intel x38) and a core 2 quad, ordered a pentium d so put in the old mobo so my mom could use it....and see if it still works

mmk, my parts came in except for the ram for the new mobo and a new monitor, i thought "no biggy, ill plug in the pentium D and see how everything runs" so, i plugged in the pentium d and i have the same problem! any idea what's up now? could the mobo's processor socket be dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom