New HDDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thanks for the links etc, I know I will be going with either Seagate or WD in a 250 and a 500. Which should hold me down for another few years.

Obviously HDD's are just getting bigger and cheaper as time goes on, I remember when I got these original two, my 250gb was in the $150.00 range.

The only other question I had was that some friends of mine were just suggesting that I get an external Hard Drive for the time being and keep the two that I have for now. IMO though I know that an external drive could fail as well and I would lose all my data etc. but is there a brand that you guys would suggest for an external HDD, or are they really not worth it? In my mind its better to have good internal HDD's and then back up the most important stuff on DVD's and Flashdrives.

I personally use 2x 250G Western Digitals and a 320G Seagate External. I keep the majority of my stuff (downloads, movies, pics, music, etc) on the external, cuz I also share alot of stuff, it also frees up MUCH space on my actual pc

I personally use 2x 250G Western Digitals and a 320G Seagate External. I keep the majority of my stuff (downloads, movies, pics, music, etc) on the external, cuz I also share alot of stuff, it also frees up MUCH space on my actual pc

this is a pretty good idea... but whats a BETTER idea... buy the 500GB HDD like you planned... and then buy an enclosure for it too... that way, it can live in your case if it wants to... or you can take it with you... and plus, ive generally found the harddrive+enclosure setup to be more reliable and less prone to failure than buying a premade external...

if in your position, id stick with the HDD's you chose, and then buy an enclosure... possibly this one:

Newegg.com - ICY DOCK MB559US-1S-B Aluminum body with partial plastic 3.5" USB 2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - Retail

this is what i have and use for my 500 sometimes, and i love it... it has both USB and eSATA connection... the plus of this is that you can connect it to your mobo via eSATA which is alot faster than USB, which is kinda nice... plus, the case doesnt have a fan, so the only noise is from the drive itself... yet the aluminum still provides good heat dissipation...
just a thought :) - RK

EDIT: forgot youre in canada, so no newegg... couldnt find this on ncix, but if you shop around or maybe try the icy dock website you could find a canadian retailer... or just pick another enclosure : /

my vote goes to WD of those 2.
at lower capacities seagates 7200.10 are faster than WD
but the WD 750gb is a total beast and owns the seagate 500gb 7200.10
i'm not sure how good the WD 500gb, but the seagate 500gb 7200.11 is brand new model and has 32mb cache

also i think i'll mention the longer warranty again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom