ddr2 vs ddr3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobmitsuo

Baseband Member
So, currently running a mobo with ddr2 667. Looking to upgrade to a 1333 mobo because i have a proc that supports up to that, plus the mobo is kinda low end, it was just meant as a replacement. I've been tending to lean towards ddr2 because it's much cheaper. Is the performance boost from ddr3 worth the money to invest in a board that supports it? if not i was going to upgrade to something supporting ddr2 1066 or ddr2 1200.

The performance boost from DDR3 is not worth the price. They are still too expensive, and the timings on them are too loose. Although they are getting better, it will be some time before they become mainstream.

What is your motherboard anyway?

And were you able to go higher? Although ASRock isn't known for overclocking motherboards.

As b1g stated, ddr3 doesnt not offer the performance to match its price right now. Maybe once nehalem comes out and does away with the FSB it will be better.

just went and checked. fsb currently clocked at 4X311. Couldn't get much higher without not being able to boot to windows. Could get to BIOS at about 315-318 i think. Currently the thing is idle at 34C according to sandra (and for whatever reason speedfan says 24.5C), stock HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom