modem problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myth

Beta member
Hi people! It's my first post so go easy.

I was having a problem setting up a friends dial-up connection. The Isp's details were correct (phone number, username, passwords, ip #'s etc). The modem seemed to dial up fine (i.e you would hear the noise dialing up to the isp). Windows Xp would then spit back an error message "Error 678 : Remote computer could not answer" or something to that effect. I am fairly new to windows xp so I'm not sure what I should look at next.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Myth

p.s Way cool forums!

:D

You say you can hear the modem dialing, but can you hear the "handshake"? (It's a funny series of tones after it dials)

If you can hear the handshake, does it last an unusaully long time? (30 - 40 secs?)

What type of modem (brand) is it?

678 is a password error, even though it doesnt say so. Make sure the settings for the dial up connection are correct. IE- make sure its set for PPP and that TCP/ip and Client for microsoft networks are check in the connection properties.

If I am right 678 means your password is incorrect. Make sure your password is right.

Lol, thats ok, i do it all the time too.

The password might not simple be the username and the password of the master account. I know that with att worldnet dialup service uses a bunch of random numbers and letters of the username and password. Once you have the account it will always be the same username and password but it simply isn't just the username and password of the master account. This applies to att worldnet. I don't know if any other companies do this but it is always a possiblity

Guy said:
You say you can hear the modem dialing, but can you hear the "handshake"? (It's a funny series of tones after it dials)

If you can hear the handshake, does it last an unusaully long time? (30 - 40 secs?)

What type of modem (brand) is it?

The modem dials and appears to handshake. It does last a long time (about 40 secs as you've said). It is a d-link modem with a conexant chipset.

I will have to reconfirm the details with the isp.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom