Installing Vista new build partition or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GvGuy39

Solid State Member
I am putting together, within the next week, the build in my signature. I will be installing Vista Premium 64bit OEM on the 640GB harddrive, and the old 80 and 160 GB drives will be installed just to get data files I've accumulated over the years to the new system. I have not built a new system in about 6 years. With such a large (640gb) drive, should I partition the drive with 1 part for OS and a separate partition for programs, files, etc? If so, how large for OS partition and how do I go about it? I have only had experience installing WinXp and that was about 6 yrs ago, so I have forgotten a few things. Will I have the opportunity to partition the drive during Vista install when it formats the drive? (The new drive is SATA and my old computer that I'm currently using doesn't have SATA capabilities.)

Your gonna need a motherobard with Sata ports to use a sata drive.

In would make the OS hard drive 100GB, Programs 150GB and the rest data.

The motherboard in signature supports SATA. When and how do I partition the 650GB drive, when installing VISTA?

it was easier for me to partition after vista was installed. I can give you the step by step when I get home and can walk myself through it again. the tools are built into the OS though and you can do it without even rebooting.

im loving vista a little more every day.

I read somewhere that Vista has software to partition. I guess I should wait until I have the computer set up to worry with partitioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom