Need Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenMachine

In Runtime
Never bought one before and need know what the people know about brands. Can someone recommend a few great buys for a 1000-1500$ laptop? It's basically for school.. multitasking, no gaming. Any input appreciated.

At my company we recommend Dell's for pretty much everything. Especially students. They have a great warranty plan. Get the extended warranty with it and they'll fix it if it breaks for 5 years. Hard to beat that. The XPS series laptops start around $1000 direct from Dell and are pretty nice. The Inspiron series starts around $500 and is a good machine for a student. Not as powerful as the XPS but still good enough for almost anything you'll want to do.
I personally have an Acer Travelmate 8100. I love it, it's huge and more powerful than most people's (Not on this forum) desktops.
Avoid Compaq, HP, and Gateway. Every laptop I've ever interacted with from those manufacturers is a steaming pile.

Haha, great thanks for a heads up on those steaming piles. I've never been a fan of those companies. Cool thing is my mom gets a discount from where she works on Dell, 30% off all season long.

Mainly what it needs is wireless technology, HD space, RAM, and preferably Win XP Pro (as oposed to Vista).

I don't agree with the criticism on HP / Compaq. In general, they offer superb notebooks (especially in their Business range) with excellent support and warranty packages, and many users would recommend HP.

Haha, great thanks for a heads up on those steaming piles. I've never been a fan of those companies. Cool thing is my mom gets a discount from where she works on Dell, 30% off all season long.

Mainly what it needs is wireless technology, HD space, RAM, and preferably Win XP Pro (as oposed to Vista).

Can you hook me up with a 30% discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom