Windows partition format.. other programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Hey, i've had to format a corrupted windows install a couple times for some reason or another and I've got a quick question.

Using seperate windows partition now, C for windows and D for storage and programs/games.

Now I know some programs just plain wont work if I format drive C and re-install windows, since part of the ptogram is installed within windows. Like Avast AV, daemon tools, alcohol 120%.

But what about the other programs/games that still all work. winamp, opera, IDM and then the games. They're there and can be run, but as far as windows is concerned they don't exist. They aren't in add/remove programs, nor the start menu.

!~~!
Is there any way to make windows kinda.. refresh itself? Or is the only way by installing everything again, basically defeating nearly the whole purpose of partitioning in the first place...

Edit~ Nevermind, looks like none of the games work either. Seems partitioning windows seperatly is a big waste of time. Next format I'll just squish it all back together again. I'm still going to have to install and spend 10+ hours updating ffxi all over again. What a nightmare.

sounds like what you did was deleted your system32 cache... without this, windows forgets that you have everything installed, so the fact that the info is there, doesnt mean much... awful sorry...
not much you can really do to fix it, i dont think... just delete/reinstall everything, and next time you format, make sure you back it up first :) - RK

oh? yeah i figured when you re-installed windows you had to format the drive first ; ; So I reformatted drive C then re-installed windows. I guess I screwed up then huh?

So how would I go about backup up the system32 cache? Will that let me keep my working programs? ; ; lol

i wish I'd learn this stuff before I break things hahaha

eh, you dont necessarily have to format... theres a way that you can reinstall from the disk without formatting... i had a similar problem a couple months ago, but reinstalling didnt help, so i did have to format... thats how i know...
anyways... check out this page on the microsoft website... it should give you all the info you need about your registry so you can not screw it up in the future haha:
Windows registry information for advanced users
back it up, then if you have to reinstall windows but you dont format your HDD, it should let you restore all your programs and stuff... :) - RK

i see. I tried a repair and the repair failed XD windows was in pretty bad shape.
The only program I care at all about is FFXI. an 8-12 hour update every install really irks me. Not to mention I lose all my mapped key's/macros/functions XD.

Thanks a ton for the link, it should help a ton. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom