ocing q660 and other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
hey guys, im really new to ocing except ocing a gpu. i have build alot of comps but the only thing i have ever oced in the gpu. with my next build though i would like to try, im getting a q6600. i want to be able to get it to around 3.7 stable. i was thinking about the tuniq tower but i have heard that it won't get it that far, is this true. what would you recomend.

TRUE for sure. Then pick a fan you like. And you can lap them both for best temps.

And dont forget some MX-2 or something. You need some thermal paste.

Lapping is the process of making the base as flat as possible, achieving better contact between the CPU and heatsink. Leading to lower temperatures.

I suggest that you do some research on the lapping subject, if you are thinking about doing it.

thats interesting, but do i really need to do that, does it lower the temps alot more then placing a heatsink onto a cpu normally.

if you are going to do really high OC, or your temps are bad, then yes it can help. I havent done it, but I plan on it...

Yea, it's not necessary to lap. It's more like a modding experience or for fun. I plan on lapping my TRUE and 3700+ next week. I'll see how that turns out.

3.6 on air is pretty much the optimal speed. Its a perfect 400mhz FSB so your memory runs at 1:1 at rated speeds, which will usually let you lower the latencies. Also pushing past 3.6ghz usually requires much higher voltages than just getting to 3.6.

All of this is dependant on how good of a cpu you get and how good your cooling is. Spend the extra money and get a thermalright ultra extreme 120, dont cheap out on a tuniq as it will cool well, but the noise and headaches that come from mounting it will dissapoint you.

i looked for the q6600 go but coudn't find it at ncix (i a few other places and they don't have them either), im guessing its random weather you get the go revision or not. i'll check out the 120, i don't want to spend alot on it though and the tuniq tower is already 56.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom