Keyboard issues when booting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewbeeb

Beta member
When I boot up, my keyboard and mouse both power up at the motherboard screen.(I have a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L.) All seems fine until after the motherboard screen. My keyboard and mouse will turn off and not come back on until windows boots up.

The reason this presents a problem is because now I can't boot from a disc. It'll ask me to hit any key but my keyboard will be powered off. This is also a problem because I wanted to have my system dual boot but now I can't because I won't be able to chose. I've tried different keyboards and it's the same. I'm guessing it has to be the motherboard but it's just weird that it turns off only in between the motherboard screen and windows loading up. Besides that everything runs good.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Tech Forums, chewbeeb!!!

Are your keyboard and mouse, USB? If so, try other USB ports. I sort of had the same issue, but other USB ports worked fine.

Hey, thanks for the welcome.

Yes, both keyboard and mouse are both USB. I tried restarting the computer with both of these in every possible USB slot, 6 in the back and 2 in the front. Still the same problem. I'm currently running Vista x64 if that matters. Thanks for the quick reply!

I remember when my USB keyboard mostly wouldn't work in between the POST and Windows screen, I used a PS/2 keyboard along with it. But after I got settled in with Windows, I didn't have the need to use the PS/2 keyboard, and the USB has worked fine throughout.

I have heard of Vista 64bit having slight issues with some hardware, but unfortunately I have no experience with Vista.

Get into your bios and look around for an option pertaining to recognize usb devices on boot or something along those lines.

I tried the PS/2 keyboard. It works perfectly. So I guess I'll have to use a PS/2 keyboard if I want to dual boot.

Does this mean that there is something wrong with my motherboard that could potentially get worse as time goes on?

Thanks again for helping me out!!

Did you try what B.S.O.D. said? I know my DS3R has those options, and I'm pretty sure your DS3L will too. You could also look for an option to halt on errors, and pick "Halt on all but keyboard."

It was on "Halt on all but keyboard." I looked around some more in BIOS and went into Integrated Peripherals or something like that. All the USB stuff was enabled EXCEPT USB Keyboard and USB Mouse support. How the **** I missed the the first time I went in there I'll never figure out. :D I probably just saw that it said USB 2.0 enabled and figured the problem wasn't there.

I enabled those two options and everything is fixed now. I don't need the PS/2 keyboard so I'm good to go. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Weird, I have those USB Keyboard and Mouse support disabled, and mine is fine.

But anyway, I'm glad to see that everything is fine. And you're welcome.

Now if you have any other problems, you know where to post.

Like I said before, the keyboard worked fine except for in between BIOS and Windows starting up. Not really a problem unless you wanted to boot off a disk for example. I was just worried something was up with my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom