How do I find my Windows XP CD-Key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
I want to format my Hard drive, but when I bought my computer (Compaq SR1750NX), it didn't come with an XP CD...

I know the key is somewhere on my computer, how do I get it?

Is the sticker on the side of your case (if its a prebuilt anyway).

I believe Belarc tells you your key...there's quite a few other programs out there that do this as well.

On a retail PC, the product key is usually printed on a Certificate of Authenticity label. It's usually stuck to the computer (base unit) somewhere on the top of the side, and on laptops it's usually stuck on the underside.

On rare occasions, it may be stuck to the casing of the system restore disc (if one was provided).

If you can boot up into the system in question, and it's already been activated with a product key, you can use a freeware program like NirSoft ProduKey or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to find out what it is.

On a retail PC, the product key is usually printed on a Certificate of Authenticity label. It's usually stuck to the computer (base unit) somewhere on the top of the side, and on laptops it's usually stuck on the underside.

On rare occasions, it may be stuck to the casing of the system restore disc (if one was provided).

If you can boot up into the system in question, and it's already been activated with a product key, you can use a freeware program like NirSoft ProduKey or Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to find out what it is.

The keys on the side of my computer and from those programs are different.. eh, I'll write down both.

If they're different, then use the one on the sticker that's on the side of your case.

Magic Jelly Bean is amazing. Works like a charm. It will give you the key for the actual install of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom