Have product key but not official Installation CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's perfectly legal, as you're just replacing the HDD. M$ usually calls a 'new system' if the mobo/CPU are changed in it.

ok so, does this mean it will work???? no one has answered the question to my first post yet....so does that mean if i can get the software of windows xp from a bittorrent site and burn in to a disk then i can use that disk to run the application and use the product key that i have on the dell computer to install XP on the new HARDDRIVE or no?

This was answered in the 2nd post and again in the 3rd post. You can NOT use the serial again. It is ILLEGAL. I already stated that you have to buy a new XP to run on this machine. that serial is for a Dell not for the machine you just built. Plus the Dell uses a OEM Serial not a retail serial so you could not jsut download any old copy of XP and use that serial as it wot work. A OEM serial will not work on a retail disk.

We at tech-Forums do not promote piracy or illegal activity. While there are ways around all this stuff it can not be discussed here.

Like I said in my previous posts (and like Mak said), it's illegal to use one serial on another machine. But, it IS legal if you're going to reinstall that copy of XP on a new hard drive, but you are using THE SAME MACHINE. As long as its the same machine, it's legal. If you use that serial on a new machine, its illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom