Computer not showing all ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I just fired up my new build and I have 4 sticks of 2 gig G Skill, Dual Channel Ram. When I right click on my computer and check properties it only shows 3.50 gigs, anyone know why this is.

Running Win XP if that matters.

You need a 64 bit operating system for it to show that you have all the ram. Which probably means you're running a 32bit OS in this case.

If you want it to show that you have all your ram you'll need to upgrade OS ^_^

Ok, I understand that, but when rendering large amounts of video, will the extra ram get utilized?

your programs will likely utilize 4gb of the ram that you have since that is the max for a 32 bit os

You need a 64 bit operating system for it to show that you have all the ram. Which probably means you're running a 32bit OS in this case.

If you want it to show that you have all your ram you'll need to upgrade OS ^_^

yep...

also don't make multiple threads, use 1 topic so other stuff odn't get pushed down

you may also look into your Bios settings and enable Memory remapping to see a lil bit more of your Ram, but yea 32bit OS only support up to 4g of total system memory, i would say just upgrade to Vista 64 ultimate so you can utilize all that memory.

yeah with 8 gigs of ram vista shouldnt be an issue ^_^ unless you already own an xp 64 or something. I run it with 6 gig's and its as smooth as hp ever was. minus the driver signing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom