Bloatware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikehunter

Beta member
Hello. I am interested in purchasing a new Dell desktop. I read that Dell offers the option of forgoing 'bloatware' which I understand is overloaded & often unnecessary software that comes with most PC's these days. As a layperson, I don't know what I would be giving up or what software to ask to be excluded. Any advice? Thank you.

Thanks very much, but my layperson status (serious newbie) restrict me from knowing even what to choose using the DeCrapifier. I just don't know enough about what to uninstall and what is necessary. As far as my own build, please see above. I just don't know enough to assemble my own. Thanks again. I will see if the Dell rep knows what bloatware is. I hope so.

P.S. - Any thoughts on the raging XP vs. Vista debate? Dell is pushing it hard, but many seem set against it.

Go with a Dell Vostro. Look in the Small Business section of dell's site instead of the Home section.

The Vostro line is a basic computer without all the crap. They came with a trial of an anti-virus, but you can opt to not have it install, either. Plus, they are usually a little cheaper than the home line computers.

Vostros have the option for XP if you want it.

What type of Anti-Virus do you suggest if not the mainstream (Norton/McAfee)? Is there something wrong with these? I assume they require alot of resources to run? Thanks.

Nod32 (paid, but one of the best), Kaspersky (paid as well), AVG Free, or Avast! are all recommended here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom