Help me upgrade! Cant decide what to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

almightyobo

In Runtime
Ok here is my current set up:

Case: Antec Sonata II
M/B: ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE
CPU: AMD 2x 2.8 5600+
Memory: 2x 1G Corsair XMS twins
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GT OC edition
H/D: 2x Western Digital 250G + 320G external
PSU: 650W Antec Tri
Monitor: Hanns-G 19" Widescreen LCD
Headset: Sennheiser PC151

I am an avid Crysis player so gaming is my major stress on my computer. Right now I feel that my biggest bottleneck is coming from my 2.8Ghz cpu. When running Crysis at only medium settings the temp shoots up 20C almost instantly and one full core is being used and the other is like at 30-50%. I plan on running an SLI config later on when my gfx card becomes available on newegg. So I think that I need to focus on my cpu. This is what I cant decide on. Keep in mind no matter what I do I plan on buying an additional cpu heatsink/fan, as stocks just arent gonna cut it for this, it needs to be cooler.

So here are the options I am considering, and I am looking for others as well, which is why I am here:

I can OC my 2.8 and get it as high as possible and stable as possible, the highest Ive seen these stabilize at is around 3.2, this of course is going to generate alot of heat and lots of stress on all my components as well

I can get a 3.2 6400+ dual core and leave it be or possibly OC it a little

Or I could go with the Q9500 and go Quad, of course I'll have to update my BIOS etc, and OCing is always an option although I more than likely would not with this.

So does anybody have any wise suggestions? Im fairly knowledgeable but not nearly as much as I would like to be, this is my first self built pc and I am trying to learn. BTW I have never OC'd before so it would be my first time.

I didn't think a 2.8 dual core was a bottleneck. But If you want to stay amd just go phenom. If not a 5000+ Black edition will hit 3.2 and is cheaper than the 6400

It may not be for some ppl, but in my system I feel its what is lagging the most

Im also trying to get somewhat of an 'expert' opinion on this since I am still pretty new to all of this

oh and I dont plan on switching to intel any time soon, this system isnt even a year old yet and I def dont have the cash for that, Im in college.

Is the only difference between the 9500 and 9600 .2GHz? is that worth the price difference?

Also arent 9550s and 9650s supposedly coming out soon to fix w/e bug is wrong w/ them right now?

your processor is not what is bottlenecking you system for gaming... it is your graphics card you need to get a 512 mb or larger 8800 series card

Edit * if you run your gpu in crossfire or sli with another 7950 depending on your mobo you wont get near the performance as a new 8800 series card and you will create more case heat and noise

dude its your GPU

Upgrade that to an hd3850, hd3870, 8800gt, 8800gts g92

my gpu is a 512mb, I didnt think that it was the prob

Ok after reviewing what ppl have said and looking into different cards Ive come up w/ this idea

The 8800GTS G92 looks like the best for the price, its just under the 3870x2 but its half the price (according to the GPU list)

would my current hardware be able to support this card? I also would like to OC my cpu a little if it can handle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom