My kingdom for an e8400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portland Newb

Baseband Member
Man, they have been out of stock everywhere for weeks. I have everything for my new build sitting around waiting for that last part.

Anyone have any idea whatthe situation is, and whether they are due back in stock soon? It's killing me to wait!

P.S. thanks to everyone on this forum for all the great advice (to a couple of my posts, but just reading other posts in general).

You can sometimes find them on Tiger Direct, CompUSA, or many other sites. You may have to spend a bit more for it... They are extremely low in supply simply because they are basically the best dual core processor out there and are very cost effective so everyone with new builds are buying them.

The only good quad cores that actually show better scores in frame rates are the Core 2 Extremes which are all very expensive... So far the E8400 and E8500 are the best dual cores and like I said, there are only a paltry few quad core processors that beat out these for fps as well as other benchmarks. The affordable ones like the Q6600 (unless severly overclocked and still maybe not then) are not better than the E8400/E8500 yet.

Awesome, thanks - will order from Tiger Direct.

Yeah, I thought about just getting a Q6600, but I really like the 45nm from heat perspective, and the cache. I really don't do anything that requires a quad at this point, and by the time that games really utilize 4 cores it'll be time to get a new processor anyway.

I think the e8400 is the perfect combination of price and performance - which is why they are so scarce. But, jeez, I wonder if Intel is doing this intentionally to purge the Q6600 inventory. Otherwise, they are losing a ton of money and look like they can't manage their inventory/distribution logistics.

The only good quad cores that actually show better scores in frame rates are the Core 2 Extremes which are all very expensive... So far the E8400 and E8500 are the best dual cores and like I said, there are only a paltry few quad core processors that beat out these for fps as well as other benchmarks. The affordable ones like the Q6600 (unless severly overclocked and still maybe not then) are not better than the E8400/E8500 yet.

ORLY. My 3dmark score begs to differ. q6600@3.6ghz > e8400@4ghz.

BTW, lots of programs use multiple cores. People need to realize that just because a game doesnt use all 4 cores, that you are still gaining performance because the OS and other crap are still running WHILE you play that game. This lets the game use as many cores as it needs to while not having to share processing cycles with all the junk windows and your chat program, anti virus, all the malware you have running in the background from your torrenting of farm pr0n etc. Until you have run both a dual core and quad core, you'll never understand how nice it is to run a fast quad core.

ORLY. My 3dmark score begs to differ. q6600@3.6ghz > e8400@4ghz.

BTW, lots of programs use multiple cores. People need to realize that just because a game doesnt use all 4 cores, that you are still gaining performance because the OS and other crap are still running WHILE you play that game. This lets the game use as many cores as it needs to while not having to share processing cycles with all the junk windows and your chat program, anti virus, all the malware you have running in the background from your torrenting of farm pr0n etc. Until you have run both a dual core and quad core, you'll never understand how nice it is to run a fast quad core.

agreed

but if you're set on a Wolfdale, check out an e8500

and the q6600 is cheap not because it is a bad seller but rather because it is cheaper to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom