Getting a new computer - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can definately do better building it on your own. I just quickly priced out a system that's comparable to that one for less than $4000 Canadian, which is less than $3000 US. Also, you should look into the video card, because if you don't NEED the Quadro4 900, you could easily knock a couple hundred dollars off the price - that's a $500 card.

In case you're curious, I was getting my prices from www.ncix.com

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it's better to just build your own. Is the video card mainly used for games? I'm not compleatly sure what it would do for me or if I really need it.

To those who mentioned PriceWatch.com, I was looking at RAM prices - http://www.pricewatch.com/1/33/3605-1.htm (2gb of it), and it's only around $300. That seems almost too cheap... I assume there's nothing wrong with it, though, and it's just a good deal?

Once again, thanks everyone :classic:

NOOOO!!! Dont get generic RAM!!! You may have BIG problems, go with www.crucial.com for your ram.

And the video card will affect your games, as well as video editing and graphics programs performance.

Yes, unless you work and rely heavily on 3D development, such as modelling, and working frequently with programs such as 3D Studio MAX, then you shouldn't have to pay the extra for a professional-level graphics card.

A consumer-level card is more than good enough for gaming, a recent one, like mentioned above, such as a Radeon 9700/9700 Pro/9800 or NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti.

Yeah, that's the thing though - I am planning on doing some stuff in 3d studio max, so I'm guessing it would be a good idea to get a good card. I just wasn't sure exactly what a card like that would help with.

Wow. I never knew about that alienware company. Their notebooks look really great...and I was thinking I had the best high-end desktop replacement with my Inspiron 8200...:amazed:

Anyhow, if you're using this machine for the highest uses, I'd never advise buying a premade machine. I'd put in the best of what I could find in a big case. Mind you, if you're going to have the top of the line in everything you'll probably need many fans to keep such a machine cooled. Wow. I'd have so much fun with a 3000 dollar plus budget just going around getting parts to put together a dream machine. Oh well.

Also, I wouldn't advise an Intel chip. AMDs are supposed to be better, even at slightly lower clock speeds. Clock speed is not the only factor that makes up a processor...

You never heard of alienware? Have you been hiding under a rock for the last few decades?

No offense but they are pretty popular so you should know about 'em.

Blah.. don't buy those name brand computers.. they are cheap for a reason. They are almost all completely proprietary inside. Pay a bit more and put one together for yourself.. that way you know that stuff is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom