Building my own NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroborus

Beta member
So I want to build my own NAS.

So far I figure I'll use a pair of mostly matched systems using Linux (not sure which flavor, but Debian looks good currently) and BRBD (a network oriented raid). As far as hardware, I'm thinking something with at least 4x SATA and 1x (or hopefully 2x) gigabit Ethernet as well as rated as for industrial use. (Also, I'm liking this tray-less drive bay, the RTX100-INT.)

Anyway, I'm still trying figure out a motherboard (or motherboard+expansion card) solution.

I've looked into PC/104+ systems and Single Board Computers, but haven't seen anything that looks like it has the horsepower to handle storage and networking I require.

Can someone suggest such a beast what meets my above requirements (4x SATA, 1x or 2x gigabit Ethernet), is replaceable, and likely to last more than 5 years?

We require more information..

Why are you doing this?
What is the intention?
What will be stored on this array?
what is you max budget?
Wired internet or wireless?

Will this be for massive storage or some important back up information perhaps related to a job, video editing, CAD, photoshop?

Max budget and purpose is most important though.

I'm doing it for the sake of doing it. It's just a fun project for me. Out of various projects I could've picked, I picked a NAS because I'm very much a packrat when it comes to downloads. My current system has about 800G of old and new drives with files dating back to '98. And it's about 80% full.

The goal is to have an ultra-reliable and (in the event of failure) ultra-recoverable bulk storage system using commodity parts.

I figure DRBD will enable full redundancy of hardware since it's designed for raid over a network.

SATA isn't so much for speed (since the bottleneck would be the gigabit ethernet) but for the trayless drive bays (enabled by its standardized form factor).

Network will be wired. Less hassle and more speed as far as I can tell.

The rest of the parts are still to be decided with the motherboard being next on the list. I figure something designed to survive the harsh environment of a vehicle or industrial setting should last for some years just sitting in my non-air conditioned living room.

I'm hoping to find a no-frills motherboard or SBC that can handle access to the drives and network simultaneously at full speed. (Again, at least full speed for gigabit since the drives will be effectively bottlenecked by that.) I'm hoping such a motherboard will be less than $200 and closer to $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom