GeForce 6800 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder4765

Baseband Member
I'm looking to get a new video card, the GeForce 6800. I'm just wondering how much of a performance loss I will get if I get the 128 MB card instead of the 256 MB card. I might be able to bring my self to spend the $500 on the 256 MB card but if the 128 is only $300, I'm considering getting that. So if you can help me out here and let me know how much of a performance difference there is.

You will see ZERO performace loss. Nothing out there takes advantage of the 256 cards... yet. I would wait for a price drop before I opted for a 256 card. On the other hand, HL2 and Doom3 are coming out soon (they don't take advantage of 256 either) and it won't be long until games DO take full advantage.

Can someone second that? lol Thanks thats a lot of help...if anybody else has something to say...please do.

I see you have the GeForce 6800 GT, so you think I should go with that one? The price is in between the other two I was considering.

i have the 6800 right now...the one that is $300....the card kicks butt...im playing far cry on the highest settings...and there is no performance loss... i got mine thru evga so i can do there step up program which i might do when HL2 comes out and get either the GT or Ultra depending on their prices at that time

But for right now the regular 6800 is more then enough for anything u need

There is a huge difference between a 12-pipelined card (6800) and a 16-pipelined card (6800 Ultra). But not huge enough to justify the $200 difference.

The 6800 GT (underclocked 6800 Ultra) is a wiser choice.

Thanks a lot, that helps a great deal. And I've decided to sell my current comp and just build a new one and get the 6800 GT, but IceyDeath23 what is the Step-Up Program your talking about?

depending on the brand 6800 gt , get one that will OC well or save and wait for the 6800 Ultra or the Ultra Extreme .But i admit im a little impatient but i will wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom