House Blackout, PSU okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I wasn't home when my house got a brief black out ( I know it did since all my clocks plugged in were reset ) and my computer was off. When I went to turn my computer on however, it briefly flashed on for like 1 second before making a beep then going silent ( seemingly to turn off ) only to power up 3 seconds later and boot up and operate normally.

My question is....WTF happened? Should I worry if theres any damage to my corsair 620 HX PSU? Is this some kind of saftey feature I don't know about? Anyway to find if anything screwed up?

Also I always wondered, if your computer is on during a black out is it possible for the hard drive to be corrupted if its writing something?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as everything seems to be fine now. If you have a meter, i doubt you do, you could always test the power coming out of the PSU to make sure its steady and sufficient.

In an event of a black out, it could be possible to get corruption, but its unlikely seeing as the protection modern operating systems have.

One sure measure of defense for anyone worried about blackouts/power surges would be a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). They can keep your computer running while the brief outage takes place, and it will protect your computer from any surge damage. Plus they usually have coverage so that if anything is STILL somehow damaged, they will replace everything free of charge.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as everything seems to be fine now. If you have a meter, i doubt you do, you could always test the power coming out of the PSU to make sure its steady and sufficient.

In an event of a black out, it could be possible to get corruption, but its unlikely seeing as the protection modern operating systems have.

Intel supported bios will boot on temporarily and then seem to shut down and then reboot at stock bios settings. It sounds to me like your system powered off due to the black out and then the custom CPU settings you had programed for your Q6600 were auto reset to stock clock speeds. The same thing happens on most boards if you Oc your system past stable settings. The system will power on then immediately power off, there will be a delay and it will power back on at stock clock timings. I don't think your system suffered any damage.

Intel supported bios will boot on temporarily and then seem to shut down and then reboot at stock bios settings. It sounds to me like your system powered off due to the black out and then the custom CPU settings you had programed for your Q6600 were auto reset to stock clock speeds. The same thing happens on most boards if you Oc your system past stable settings. The system will power on then immediately power off, there will be a delay and it will power back on at stock clock timings. I don't think your system suffered any damage.

my system wasn't on though during the blackout...and my bios settings werent stock since Im overclocked still at 3 ghz

my system wasn't on though during the blackout...and my bios settings werent stock since Im overclocked still at 3 ghz

I have no other info to offer other than to say that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom