Quad Core overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikitaha

Baseband Member
Hi, i'm recently thinking of overclocking my cpu.. so i've a few questions that i hope the experts here can help me...

Firstly, can i noe how to check whether my quad core Q6600 is G0 stepping w/o the box?

Secondly, i heard that Q6600 is a good overclocker, wat's the average if i'm only willingly to install a normal bigger cpu fan on it...

Lastly, overclocking reduce the cpu's lifespan, but by how much??

Thanks for the replies coming in advance.. :)

Dude, what is wrong with you? You got a Quad Core, why do you need to over clock? Most these guys over clock to meet Quad Core performance. Trust me don't do it.

^Dude, no offence, but you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Overclocking's easy.. download CPU-Z to check your stepping, and also, what kind of motherboard are you running on? Is this a pre-built computer? Because chances are overclocking might not be an option..

Hi, i'm recently thinking of overclocking my cpu.. so i've a few questions that i hope the experts here can help me...

Firstly, can i noe how to check whether my quad core Q6600 is G0 stepping w/o the box?

Secondly, i heard that Q6600 is a good overclocker, wat's the average if i'm only willingly to install a normal bigger cpu fan on it...

Lastly, overclocking reduce the cpu's lifespan, but by how much??

Thanks for the replies coming in advance.. :)

You can check th CPU if it says SLACR on the third line it is a G0. Otherwise check in CPU-Z it will tell you the revision if it is G0. I have seen around the 3.0Ghz on air is average. SOme have gone higher and some have decided to stay lower, from what I have seen. CPU's last 100 years and OC'ing them reduces the lifespan to 50 years. So basically OC'ing won't affect you unless you plan on keeping it that long.

The amount of usable lifespan on a CPU is far greater than it will ever need to run. Even if you cut the lifespan in half or less, it will still be outdated by the time you replace it with something faster. As to overclocking on stock cooling, thats a bit iffy. As said before, if you have a good chip, you can probably hit 3.0ghz on the stock cooler, but its going to run pretty hot.

Good board and good cooler should be able to hit 3.5 and above..... Over clocking is awesome and one the quads should be done if your up for it, just my opinion.

Thanks guys for the replies... the stepping shown is B, but the revision is G0, so does it means it's G0 stepping??

I'm using a gigabyte P35-DS3 board, is it suitable for overclocking? i'm not going for the extreme, i may try to hit 3ghz or slightly more than that.. wat would i need then?

which ds3? I was able to get my q6600 up to 3.15 on stock voltage with my ds3r.

sorry going to high jack the post a second

i've got a GA-P35-DS3R, i'm going to overclock it seen i ca do it on stock volts but 1 thing what HSF did you use

or is it ok on stock HSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom