upgraded to 4GBs, Vista 32-bit reads only 3GB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows would not read it as 3.5gb's of system memory.

It would simply use 3.5 gigabytes = 30 064 771 072 bits to adress. To address each bit of memory it assigns a 32 number string hence 32 bit operating system.

This would basically mean Windows would show 3GB of system memory however it would have to address a total of 3.5gb of memory that exists within your computer.

If you bought another 2gig kit instead it would show 3.5gb of system memory but would have to address its max of 4gb worth of addresses.

Do you really need more than 2gig of memory?

Yes n no. Games like Hellgate: London, which i have btw, recommends 3GBs. Assassin's Creed recommends 3GBs too. As far as im concerned, new games from here on will recommend 2-3GBs now, so better prepared. I did see a small improvement in Hellgate: London with everything set to max this time. So far, my game doesnt shut down on it's own because of low memory use (did when i had 2GBs). Although, what is holding my PC's performance back now is my CPU, it's not fast enough, thus choking the performance; goes full load, both cores, everytime i play Hellgate: London.

so to answer ur question, yes, if i want 3GBs or more since the rest isnt detected exactly but still used, maybe.

Yes n no. Games like Hellgate: London, which i have btw, recommends 3GBs. Assassin's Creed recommends 3GBs too. As far as im concerned, new games from here on will recommend 2-3GBs now, so better prepared. I did see a small improvement in Hellgate: London with everything set to max this time. So far, my game doesnt shut down on it's own because of low memory use (did when i had 2GBs). Although, what is holding my PC's performance back now is my CPU, it's not fast enough, thus choking the performance; goes full load, both cores, everytime i play Hellgate: London.

so to answer ur question, yes, if i want 3GBs or more since the rest isnt detected exactly but still used, maybe.

Do what i did, get a 2x1gb kit (which you already have) and a 2x512mb kit, so youll have 3gb of ram in dual channel. And yes i enjoy the extra 1gb of memory, it makes a nice difference and allows me to have no paging file with confidence.

Do what i did, get a 2x1gb kit (which you already have) and a 2x512mb kit, so youll have 3gb of ram in dual channel. And yes i enjoy the extra 1gb of memory, it makes a nice difference and allows me to have no paging file with confidence.

alright ill do that then. I'll try repackaging later today or tomorrow. I need to somehow print out a mail-in rebate for my XtremeGamer sound card today or i cant rebate it. My dad's lazer printer needs more toner n i cant edit the .pdf rebate :(.

yeah that's probably the best choice ^_^. How does hellgate london run for you? Have you tried it yet?

hellgate london's memory assigning is CRAP. DX10 can barely be played because of a severe memory leak issue. I have 6 gigs of ram and it will crash after 1hr of usage due to low memory.
DX9 isnt as bad, but after 8 hours i still have 4.5gigs of used memory.
The HG:L forums were spammed with it for logn time lol. They had someone workign on it, and it's improved significantly from what it was but a lot of people are still havign major issues. Like me ><
Some people aren't having such a hard time with it though, that's why its taking so long >.>

They have some serious work to do on that game.

yeah that's probably the best choice ^_^. How does hellgate london run for you? Have you tried it yet?

hellgate london's memory assigning is CRAP. DX10 can barely be played because of a severe memory leak issue. I have 6 gigs of ram and it will crash after 1hr of usage due to low memory.
DX9 isnt as bad, but after 8 hours i still have 4.5gigs of used memory.
The HG:L forums were spammed with it for logn time lol. They had someone workign on it, and it's improved significantly from what it was but a lot of people are still havign major issues. Like me ><
Some people aren't having such a hard time with it though, that's why its taking so long >.>

They have some serious work to do on that game.

so far, im seen a small improvement, but not much. It recommends 3GBs n ur right though, it does have memory issues. I hasnt crashed on me since n i put everything on max now, thx to the extra RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom