--An interesting 3850 vs G92 GTS Comparison--

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So I just got an 8800GTS 512mb to replace my 3850...and my 3dmark06 results are very interesting.

Basically the overclocked 3850 (930core/1044mem) beats the stock 8800GTS by 8.5% at 1680x1050 with 8x AA. When I overclocked the 8800GTS to 792core/1944shader/1008mem it was just able to beat the 3850.

Without AA it's another story...

Here are my results, draw your own conclusions.

2wbz5g8.png

Your 3850 was vmodded and overclocked and the GTS was at stock

plus, ATI cards tend to do better in synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark06 (the current world record is with two 2900XTs I think) but not as well in real game situations

get a nice vmod on that GTS and bump your core to 900MHz and you'll see it fly. I installed an Accelero S1 w/ Turbo Module on the card.. with that kind of cooling - I *might* be able to hit 1000MHz core if I bump the vgpu far enough.

this is like anything else... give the 3870 a game that it is optmized for and it will blow the 8800 out of the water.. any benchmarks for a gpu is really pointless in my opinion, unless it is is a fps on a game kinda thing. i mean who really runs any of the apps that most of the benchmarks are done with

Well yeah I just loaded up CoD4 and areas where I sometimes got 45ish fps I now get 55-65fps. In UT3 I notice no difference whatsoever of course since that's a CPU limited game....in Crysis there's about a 5fps difference at stock and 15fps difference when I overclock it to about 800/1950/1008 core/shade/mem. Team Fortress 2 runs pretty much the same....the 3850 handled it with 6xAA very nicely even when it was at the stock 700mhz.

However, I don't play Crysis and regarding the rest of the games I'm not really impressed by the performance difference...I'm considering selling it back because yes, I overclocked my 3850...but I did it with no detectable signs so my warranty is still valid....AND my 3850 cost literally over 1/2 what the 8800GTS costs new and performs more or less the same.

With AA off the difference is quite noticeable, but with it on the performance gap between the 2 cards closes pretty quickly, IMO. I think maybe I should have gone with a GTX since I like AA.

Those are immense clocks for a 3850. Why did you feel the need to upgrade to the GTS?

They are high clocks yeah but very common as the pencil mod is so easy to do. And I just got an upgrade itch really, didn't need to upgrade. Anyway, upgrade itch satisfied and now I think I'm going to sell it back lol.

They are high clocks yeah but very common as the pencil mod is so easy to do. And I just got an upgrade itch really, didn't need to upgrade. Anyway, upgrade itch satisfied and now I think I'm going to sell it back lol.

thats what i would do, get my $150 back.

Meh, whatever floats your boat - I still stand by my GTS - I play TF2 with 16QAA and 16xAF and get about 80-90 fps - plus, if my card screws up from the voltmod, I can always remove it and there's almost no way they can figure it out

pencil mods aren't permanent either, they wear off over time

Just played CoD4 for awhile....in one level I was only getting about 10-15fps more than the 3850.....but in pretty much all of them I am getting 90+ at least. (1680x1050 full details 4xAA)

So to conclude. 3dmark doesn't mean shizzle as this card is stock and is performing about 1.5x as good as the overclocked 3850.

I think I will be keeping this card and volt modding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom