Have product key but not official Installation CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicsilver87

Baseband Member
So i built a new computer today and i wanted to use the same copy of windows xp that i have on my Dell that i currently have onto the new computer. I have the product key written on the tower of the dell, so does that mean if i can get the software of windows xp from a bittorrent site and burn in to a disk then i can use that disk to run the application and use the product key that i have on the dell computer to install XP on the new computer or no?

You can only use a product key on a single machine. It's illegal to do so on more than 1 machine (unless its a multi-volume license key, of course).

As carnage said this is illegal. You have to purchase a new copy of XP to get a new serial to use for hte new machine. Only 1 active serial per machine. Sorry.

Oh ok i did not know that. Well how about if i was to add a new HD to my dell?? i know i would have to reinstall the XP on it so then what?

Oh ok i did not know that. Well how about if i was to add a new HD to my dell?? i know i would have to reinstall the XP on it so then what?

That's perfectly legal, as you're just replacing the HDD. M$ usually calls a 'new system' if the mobo/CPU are changed in it.

me and a cup friends share a copy of windows for every build. (3 to be exact) we just call microsoft and say we are switching it to another computer. they havn't seemed to catch on so. im not sure if im aloud to talk about that stuff so i'll shut up now.

Lo yeah not a good idea might wanna edit that.... In no way do we (tech forums) condone this, 1 computer one key....

there happy xd lol. anyway its not like we were selling it to people, and the copy was legit so its not all bad, and don't tell me you don't do something similar to this lol. i'll edit this after u have read it.

i switch my copy of windows to my next build, its allowed.

I loved how you changed, freakin sweet.

Not saying that I never did that at one point in time, just don't want a noob reading this and thinking were telling it is an okay thing to do and then coming back here and wreaking havoc on all of us..... Don't think the mods would like that very much, I know I would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom