How do you remove start up files

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimcan

Baseband Member
How do you remove start up files such as

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I do not know how to go about finding files

download hijack this and post a log in the syware detection forum, Osiris and some others will help you out :)

why would you need to remove the startup files? you can go to search and search exactly what your looking for. You can also go to the hard drive then under WINDOWS and delete files that way but I don't recommend messing around with that directory

Start > run > msconfig > startup tab. Services tab is also a good one. Just check the box that says "hide all Microsoft services."

Oh I did that is msconfig!!

Is that the same thing as deleting a file in the REGisry?

Deleting from the registry is totaling removing it... Disabling it from msconfig is just that: just disabling it, allowing you to re-enable it later on if you want.

I wouldn't suggest deleting anything from the registry.

Deleting from the registry is totaling removing it... Disabling it from msconfig is just that: just disabling it, allowing you to re-enable it later on if you want.

I wouldn't suggest deleting anything from the registry.
I do it all the time. You just need to know what you're deleting.

If you really want to remove it from the registry, go to Start > Run and type regedit. First, make sure you go to file > Export to back up your current registry. If you need to restore it, just double click on the exported file and answer yes.

When you disable things in msconfig (In Windows XP) it moves the registry entry to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Only entries you have disabled in msconfig end up here. So if you want to clean up the msconfig window when it gets too full of disabled programs. You can delete everything in this folder. Just remember, you can no longer re-enable it after you do this so make sure it's something your computer can safely function without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom