Need to know what files are needed to run installed software

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaXiMuS_N00BuS

Baseband Member
I need to find out if there is any way to find all the files that are needed by a specific program to run so i can move the files to another hard drive. The files are like .dll's and .inf's and all that good stuff that are automaticaly installed SOMEWHERE on the computer. So i need like a tool or program that can tell me what files are need for that program to run. :confused:

NOTE: Unfortunately re-installing is not an option

EDIT: Was that question easy to understand?

Eric is right. You will never find them all. You will have to look in the Windows folder, which never tells you which apps are which. Then you ahve the App Data folder. Then you still have to find ALL the registry keys.

If a system repair wont work you will have to find a way to get the installers again.

Ok that brings me to a couple of questions....

1. I use Visual Studio 2008 Proffessional and i would like to create a program that would allow some sort of... installation discovery if you will.. One that will do exactly what i asked in the original post. Do any of you know anyone who could help?

2. Is there any forums on here or anywhere else that you could direct me to for that sort of thing?

The concept of my hopefully-soon-to-be program consists of a pretty simple idea. All you do is drag the .exe into the window and then run it from the program and then it sees exactly what the program utilizes to start. Or is that just another one of those lost hopes?

Ok that brings me to a couple of questions....

1. I use Visual Studio 2008 Proffessional and i would like to create a program that would allow some sort of... installation discovery if you will.. One that will do exactly what i asked in the original post. Do any of you know anyone who could help?

2. Is there any forums on here or anywhere else that you could direct me to for that sort of thing?

The concept of my hopefully-soon-to-be program consists of a pretty simple idea. All you do is drag the .exe into the window and then run it from the program and then it sees exactly what the program utilizes to start. Or is that just another one of those lost hopes?

can you be more detailed in you explanation?

hear one problem. if you can all of that info, most of the time the program still need the original exe to work, so it's really not worth the effort

Ok, the program i am hoping to create here in the near, near future, is one that will discover all of the files and dll's needed by a specific program. Let me attempt to explain it better.

1. You open the program (it will be a very simple program indeed) and you drag the .exe into the the drop area.

2. You specify the original directory of the .exe so that the discovery program will act as the directory. You know, kind of like a virtual drive.

3. Then you hit start or run... or whatever it takes to commence the discovery.

I know.... Total n00b's wet dream.

But tell me it couldn't be possible. Or at least scratching the *** end of possible.

it is. it's called a portable app. however it doesn't run dll files everywhere. it run outside of window.

Ok, the program i am hoping to create here in the near, near future, is one that will discover all of the files and dll's needed by a specific program. Let me attempt to explain it better.

1. You open the program (it will be a very simple program indeed) and you drag the .exe into the the drop area.

2. You specify the original directory of the .exe so that the discovery program will act as the directory. You know, kind of like a virtual drive.

3. Then you hit start or run... or whatever it takes to commence the discovery.

I know.... Total n00b's wet dream.

But tell me it couldn't be possible. Or at least scratching the *** end of possible.

This wouldnt be possilbe. As you would not be able to catch every entry made. Plus if i am not mistaken there is something out there like this for XP already. But you see the issue is that there are so many things created. From desktop icons to the App Data stuff to the hidden profile fodlers to the stuff in the prgram folders. You would most certainly miss it.

If all this is jsut so you can get the stuff and move ti to another hard drive. Get the installer and install it to that drive. Even more simple than trying to find someone who can hack the Windows registry to record all its changes. Not the mention of recording all teh changes to the system folders at the same time. That would require a hacker to get all that accomplished as there are very few people who can do this without some kind of hacking experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom