i think that not even god could help me with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkblue

Baseband Member
hy folks...

So where should I start. There is a very sick problem with my computer which I build myself 5 month ago. It looked like that at the beginning:

Intel 865PERL mainboard
P4 3.2ghz processor with 800FSB and 512kb L2 cache
Sapphire ATI 9800XT 256mb
2x SAMSUNG 512mb RAM (400mhz dual channel) 1GB all in all
Creative SB Live 5.1, Gameport
DVD+ CDRW drives
380W tagan powersupply
Seagate 80GB ide harddisk + Seagate 60GB ide
good cooled with 4 chassis fan's + coolmaster cpu fan

After setting up all the software stuff and drivers, I was trying to play some games like MS Flightsim 2004. The fps were more than ok but there were stutters and flickers though. As consequence I reinstalled all the drivers and tried many display settings. No change. Some people told me about a 60hz bug, but it wasn't that.

2 weeks of trying past by and I returned the 9800XT for a new one. Still no change! After that, some told me that eventually a ASUS chipset would work better with the gpu so I bought a P4P800. To my pity, there was absolutely no change even if the AUSUS board is superb with the BIOS and so. Oh, yes, the BIOS. I changed so many settings and frequencies, no config that I haven't tested.

Something must be wrong, in the followings weeks I did following things:
- format all harddrives
-reinstalled all drivers
-changed the PSU into a 465W one. (don't know the name but it's not a noname)
-removed all pci cards and drives wich was not absolute required.
-changed some fans
-changed the processor!! into a 2.8ghzE for a while
-inserted an old Geeforce 4 card without changes to the flicker.
-new tower!
-tests of memory, harddrive, cpu... (all ok!!!)
-many more small things (+ antidepressiva for frustration ;) )

Today there is not a single part in my pc which hasn't been changed at least once.!!!! :angry:

Maybe I try to describe the problem again. If you move in a game like Flightsim, the scenery gets blurred and if there is a red light and you pan your "head" slowly away, you can see three!! lights instead of one. It is like, the screen when it refreshes, the old frame is not cleared away but is still present and makes the actual one blurred. I wanted to make a screenshot, but in the shot, it looks total ok, not blurred, not doubled.. nothing.

Now, you would probably tell me to let it repair by a professional. Already done so, 5 times, 5 differnt guys. BUT 5 HAVE NO CLUE!!! The last one already told me to sell the single parts if a new case tower doesn't help.

This is the last effort in resolving the problem, even though there is no more hope from my side. Maybe there is anything I can still do?

thanks and sorry for my english

thank you for your reply..

I tried an alternate 17' TFT with the same "ghost image". I think that would describe it best.

Im running Windows XP home (german) right now, but I tested also Win XP Pro (german) and Win xp home (english)

I replaced the case, because a friend suggested it. He thought it could have something to do with the "grounding" (i hope you know what I mean) of it.

a.) hmm, this would mean that 3 differnt cards were faulty
b.) i installed nearly every driver versions I could... BUT: I found it crazy, because I wanted to install the intel chipset AGP drivers and there was a message "incompatible hardware". This isn't true. In the readme file and in the hardware info prog, it was just the right version for the drivers.!?!?
c.) cables changed 10 times and also monitor
d.) hmm, possible.. but the same fault with 2 boards?

Tried the 4x mode and fastwrite off and so an. But still the same flicker.

Oh... there is something I forgot to say. This tops it all. I own some gameport pedals that i use with my soundcard. They don't work (the parameters stuck or freeze) at my main pc with the flicker. BUT, and here it comes, when i install the soundcard in my second computer and get the pedals connected here. they work fine and the parameters are red out well, without any freeze or stuck.

Just crazy....

greets and thank you.

you are makign ti a bit confusing for me, at one stage you are mentioning 60Hz refresh rate (o thats for LCd's) and at other, you are telling screen refreshes. (LCD doesnt refreshes the screen, its CRT technology that it depends on screen refresh rate). and also one corection (for suture purposes), that u mentioned that Asus's chip? the chip in that is of intel, but manufactured by Asus (though switching to that was excellant option)..
please tell me, haveyou bought the same ATi (means from same mabufacturer? )

as I have used every ATI card that is/wsa n market (starting from ATi 9000 Radeon. and the manufacturer of the AGP card does makes diference in performance. I havent seen any problem in cards built by ATi (thats one i'm using) and other than that, see if you can grab from Asus (their's manufacturing is reliable as well).

Have you also looked for something as simple as outside influence. Like maybe using non shielded speakers, or maybe there is some equipment causing interference (like maybe a/c on the otherside of the wall, or anything that emits and sort of interference. Remove anything like that away from the monitor.

have you tried patching your game or trying a different game?

it's probably to late but if you're desperate you can always return every part and re-order everything.

hello...

thanks again for your answers...

---
at one stage you are mentioning 60Hz refresh rate (o thats for LCd's) and at other, you are telling screen refreshes. (LCD doesnt refreshes the screen, its CRT technology that it depends on screen refresh rate). a
--
the problem shows up on both, on the TFT as well as on the CRT, this is why I believe that monitor can't be the reason.
----------
Have you tried a different motherboard? Just a thought
--
just intel 865PERL and ASUSP4P800
----------
Have you also looked for something as simple as outside influence. Like maybe using non shielded speakers, or maybe there is some equipment causing interference (like maybe a/c on the otherside of the wall, or anything that emits and sort of interference. Remove anything like that away from the monitor.
---
yes, thought on that, but i carried my pc around in the whole flat. no chance.

---

thx,

PS: have to leave till next Thursday.

hy,

I've just came home from Italy, so and have some time to answer your tipps with some more detail as I already did.

t one stage you are mentioning 60Hz refresh rate (o thats for LCd's) and at other, you are telling screen refreshes.

Yes, this is a bit confusing and also kind of absurd to happen, I know. The monitor can't be the reason I think, I tried several monitors (lcd and crt). The weird thing about it is that there is very slow flicker even on LCD's! so this is not ment to be a 60hz bug, or?

it's probably to late but if you're desperate you can always return every part and re-order everything.

Yes, I did, and there is not a single part which is unchanged!
unbelievable... really weird.

have you tried patching your game or trying a different game?

The game is patched and configured in every single detail. But it ain't a single game with the problem. Farcry, Battlefield, they all run not normal and go blurred in movements or stutter.

as I have used every ATI card that is/wsa n market (starting from ATi 9000 Radeon. and the manufacturer of the AGP card does makes diference in performance. I havent seen any problem in cards built by ATi (thats one i'm using) and other than that, see if you can grab from Asus (their's manufacturing is reliable as well).

mhm, my card is build by Sapphire and has never been softmodded, flashed or so. The card was also returned and the new one showed the same problem. :(

all the best to you and thank you again,
andre..

Its probably drivers/settings.

Did you check to see if their were any conflicts? Messing with Anisotropic & Antialiasing settings? Different game?

This could be a shot in the dark but...Do you run your games from CD? Have tried replacing the Dvd - CDroms? It could be as simple as a Faulty IDE cable.

BTW...how long did you let these test run? When you run test like that (Say...Memtest86) You are supposed to let it run for well over 12 hours just to be sure.

Did you check to see if their were any conflicts? Messing with Anisotropic & Antialiasing settings? Different game?

yes, everthing, no conflicts etc.

This could be a shot in the dark but...Do you run your games from CD? Have tried replacing the Dvd - CDroms? It could be as simple as a Faulty IDE cable.

I apreciate every single tipp anyway. ;) Faulty IDE cable, yes, also thought about it, changed it, and pulled the IDE for CD- drives from the board. Despite no success.

BTW...how long did you let these test run? When you run test like that (Say...Memtest86) You are supposed to let it run for well over 12 hours just to be sure.
almost 24 hours testing has been done with memtest and several benchmark tools. NO FAULTS AT ALL.

EDIT: let me tell again that my gameport pedals (with the pci soundcard) DON'T WORK ON THIS COMPUTER BUT THEY WORK WITH THE SAME CARD IN THE OTHER PC. ! (by the way, the drivers are ok and there are no conflicts.) crazy stuff.

... thx for your patience with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom