Status
Not open for further replies.

solidsteve

Daemon Poster
ok another one of these posts

i've already got the mobo, half the ram, the psu, hdd's and dvd drives

mobo - gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
hdd's - 2x western digital 500gb drives
ram - 4gb of OCZ platinum 4-4-4-15 timing's (got 2gb)
gpu - radeon 3870 512mb
cpu - Q6600 ( or Q9450 if they come out in time )
psu - 550W corsair vx
dvd drives - a basic dvd rom and rw

i'll be running vista home premium ( either 32bit or 64bit can't decide )

what do you think of it, i haven't got a lot of money leeway so this is good for me

Unless you do lots of video or folding calculation type work, ditch the quad core for any other fast dual core. Todays games cannot take advantage of 4 cores quite yet, so since your on a budget, your better off getting a high end core 2 duo. The 4 gigs of ram, although nice, is not necessary, and in my case, i would ditch it and bump my graphics up. (say something like a 3870x2)

You may want to invest in a higher wattage power supply if you stick with the quad core and a nice graphics card.

Unless you do lots of video or folding calculation type work, ditch the quad core for any other fast dual core. Todays games cannot take advantage of 4 cores quite yet, so since your on a budget, your better off getting a high end core 2 duo. The 4 gigs of ram, although nice, is not necessary, and in my case, i would ditch it and bump my graphics up. (say something like a 3870x2)

You may want to invest in a higher wattage power supply if you stick with the quad core and a nice graphics card.

hmm i still have a £600 budget for it but i was thinking of saving some on the chip and going for a E8400 or a E8500

4gb of ram is cheep ( £80 or so ) so why not

E8400 does look promising.

In my opinion, i would up the graphics and opt out for 2 gigs of ram, but it really depends on your needs. I'm just giving you some feedback. I spent 4 months before i could decide on a final build for my pc, and that was back in November.

E8400 does look promising.

In my opinion, i would up the graphics and opt out for 2 gigs of ram, but it really depends on your needs. I'm just giving you some feedback. I spent 4 months before i could decide on a final build for my pc, and that was back in November.

lol i'm the exactly the same i started planning this october last year, i decided i wanted a decent dual or quad, a good mobo and plenty or ram

i dont really need 4gb of ram but there cheep ( like i just said ) so why not

and the 3870x2 (whan i stop being scared or the price) is well to over priced for my liking, £150 sounds a nice price for me

yeah, e8400 kills the quad in almost everything. Plus its way newer. So there can always be software updates to improve it. The q6600 is getting old. By the time games and everything else is really optimized to use all four cores the q6600 will be dinosaur (maybe a exaggeration). Why don't you go with the 9600gt, get the evga model. Then (correct me if I am wrong) I think evga still lets you switch your card within 90 days if a better one for the difference in price comes out. I would bet money the nvidia will have the 9800's out within that time frame. Plus evga will replace anything. My friend back in the day lit his 6800ultra on fire while over clocking, they shipped him a new one no problem! One last thing people are over clocking the e8400 to 4ghz without water cooling no problem. Hope that was helpful let me know.

Like ive been saying the past 2 days in this forum, don't get the 9600. It is based on the old g92 core and is just a low cost model of essentially a scaled down 8800gt. Spend the extra cash, and go with a solid 8800GT or 3870 that will perform well for years.

ok another one of these posts

i've already got the mobo, half the ram, the psu, hdd's and dvd drives

mobo - gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
hdd's - 2x western digital 500gb drives
ram - 4gb of OCZ platinum 4-4-4-15 timing's (got 2gb)
gpu - radeon 3870 512mb
cpu - Q6600 ( or Q9450 if they come out in time )
psu - 550W corsair vx
dvd drives - a basic dvd rom and rw

i'll be running vista home premium ( either 32bit or 64bit can't decide )

what do you think of it, i haven't got a lot of money leeway so this is good for me

looks perfect, you've learned a lot from your stay here

you need 64bit to have all 4gb's recognized

there are already multi threading programs and with in three months there will be games optimized for quad core. its you decision but if you want to save money in the futre go with the Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom