No boot device detected: system Halted

Status
Not open for further replies.

claire

Beta member
Hi, new to this forum, and thanks in advance for any help regarding this problem.

When I start up my computer ( I am running xp home) when I turn it on I get a whirr sound in my cd disk draw and then I get the message "No boot device detected: system Halted"

I installed a disk burner onto my computer ("liteon" 52x32x52" nero software for the burner..) Could this be the cause of my problems?

I haven't been able to use my computer since I have got this problem. Please help!!

Cheers Claire

Welcome to TF Claire!

Are you able to get into the BIOS at all? If so, try changing your boot sequence to start with the HDD.

If you don't know how to get into BIOS, turn on your computer, and press F2 or delete repeatedly BEFORE the Windows screen appear.

HDD should always be on the Primary ATA Controller (IDE1) to boot the system faster.... and the best jumper setting you can have if you are not familiar with the settings is "Cable Select".... this setting avoids any conflicts in drive detection

NOTE: Once you are using Cable Select as the setting for the jumper..make sure that the Hard Drive is connected to the End of the Cable and not in the middle!

also some special brand HDD have a special jumper setting if alone on a IDE channel that says SD for 'single drive' config. you may, however, just need to reseat the IDE cables at both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom