Some upgrades/changes, i would like opinons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
I'm going to sell my 8800 GT 512 to my friend, and with that money i am going to buy an xfx 780i.

That will leave my system as

q6600
tuniq tower
xfx 8800 gt 512 alpha dog edition
xfx 780i
2gb crucial ballistix

basically...

Then i will sell my Evga 680i SE and save up for the new case, which I'm working towards getting. which most likely will be an aurora... unless i see a cm cosmos for around $150 or less.

I'm asking for your opinion because i was thinking and since SLI isnt a must anymore maybe i should go for a crossfire mobo so i can possibly go crossfire in the future.

What do YOU guys (techforums incase your wondering :happy: ) think i should do?

Well, Crossfire is basically the same thing as SLI, but made by ATI and not nVidia. I really don't see much necessity for either. I would leave your system how it is and maybe try to overclock the processor and gpu. Other than that, Crossfire is as little a necessity in my opinion as SLI because these things can actually hurt frame rates in some applications and games that don't fully support the technology. Just stay with your 8800GT or buy a multi GPU card such as the 9800 GX2 which is reportedly a good 30% better performer than the 8800 Ultra.

Yeah, I thought about going SLI/Crossfire for a while and just eventually came to the conclusion that is doesn't seem worth it. I'd rather just have one decent card that I upgrade once in a while rather than have to deal with two. For me, the minimal benefit doesn't outweigh the hassle.

Well, Crossfire is basically the same thing as SLI, but made by ATI and not nVidia.

Oh gee, After a few months on this forums i finally learned that, thank you SOOOO much!!*sarcasm*
:eek: loljk

Well, I've seen some amazing 3dmark06 scores with SLI and crossfire. But for me i think it didn't work as good because i had different manufactures, so even though SLI worked, it did not work as well as it should of.

I see myself getting the 780i most likely.

part of the reason for the selling of the 1 8800 gt is so that i wont have 2 useless cards when it comes time to upgrade my video card

Oh gee, After a few months on this forums i finally learned that, thank you SOOOO much!!*sarcasm*
:eek: loljk

Well, I've seen some amazing 3dmark06 scores with SLI and crossfire. But for me i think it didn't work as good because i had different manufactures, so even though SLI worked, it did not work as well as it should of.

I see myself getting the 780i most likely.

part of the reason for the selling of the 1 8800 gt is so that i wont have 2 useless cards when it comes time to upgrade my video card

thats a true story, it'd be hard to get rid of 2 gt's once 9 series comes out...

well if you decide to go with a dual gpu solution it would probably be a better idea to go Xfire.. 1) the intel mobos are better imo (x38 for instance) 2) more overclocking potential with less problems 3) Crossfire scales better so you'd be getting more for your money.

on the other hand whats wrong with just having one sweet card and getting a p35 board? you'd spend less to achieve more i think in the long run. unless we start seeing almost 200% performance from sli/crossfire.

To save money get the abit IX38 quad GT, it will overclock the same, its 20 cheaper and has tasty on board on/off, reset and clear cmos button.

Even better, the IX quad gt will only cost you 189.99 with a 30 mail in rebate.

Which makes it and even better buy.
Newegg.com - ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Not to mention the fact that the Quad GT garuntees FSB up to 1600 Mhz while the 780i you posted only, officially supports up to 1333 Mhz.

And I am running 1600 Mhz FSB, no problems, I was running 1648 Mhz before, but that board died, Abit replaced it for me.
Compare them side by side, the Quad GT wins especially in price.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16813141005,N82E16813127033
Dude, jump on this deal, when I bought my Quad GT it was 229, you can have it for 189. Do it!

$190 for a x38 is a great deal. if i were in the market though i'd be getting that new DFI lp Dark x38 for $200 :) or i think i'd just stick to a p35 and get the DFI lp Dark p35 for $140... i don't need 2 gpu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom