Overheating and buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormchaser

Solid State Member
Soup, guys.

I was having a problem with my computer. I came home one day and my computer was off. (I had left it on.) My brother said he had used it to play TF2, but had left it on. Apparently it crashed to shutdown after he had left.
When I turned it on again, it was making a buzzing sound, which I assume is the fan. Additionally Speedfan is putting my core temperature at between 50 to 68. I can maintain it at around 50 if I take the side of the computer off and put a fan beside it.
I also bought and installed an NVidia 7300 in my PCI-E slot the day before this started.

So, does anyone know:
1. Is the fan malfunctioning, causing the buzzing and temperature, or is the high temperature causing the fan to overwork itself?
2. Is this because of the graphics card? Is the card itself overheating, or does "core" signify the CPU?
3. Most importantly, how can this be fixed?

EDIT: By the way there is no loss of performance, all though all my Valve games that use the Source engine crash with one of these messages:
"Engine error: Failed to lock index buffer:Cmesh something"
or
"Engine error: Failed to lock vertex buffer:Cmesh something"

This started when I got the new card. My previous card was an integrated Intel 82945G.

What are your system specs? So what were your temps before you got the Video card? Is your card close to your CPU? You need to locate the buzzing though. Also try to set your desktop color quality to 16 bit for the errors your getting>

My complete system specs are:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 2.80GHZ
RAM: 1024MB

Temps before video card were usually around 40-50.

The buzzing is difficult to locate but it seems near my main case fan.

I really don't know, I'm such a n00b I don't know what the CPU looks like.

EDIT: nTune confirms that the high temperature is from my GPU. This site would indicate that this is actually a normal temp:
TweakGuides.com - ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide
"A common question asked by users is "What is a safe temperature for my graphics card?" This varies depending on the particular graphics card series you have, since each is based on a particular architecture and hence has different heat output and tolerances. Typically, under most circumstances the 50-60 degree (Celcius) range is considered quite normal at idle, increasing into the high 70s under load. These temperatures will rise when overclocking or when your system is not properly cooled, and can result in crashes and freezes when under load. See the Overclocking section for more information on cooling."

Was I even right to think that my temperature was too high? Is the buzzing my only problem?

EDIT2: Never mind, I turned off my fan and started idling at 70.

First find out which fan it is. Do this by manually stopping the fan with your (BE VERY CAREFULL) finger; you could also use a toothpick, floppy disc, or your little brother. If the noise stops you got your man.
You can try dismounting that fan and cleaning it, water doesn't hurt electric motors. Dry it throughly and plug it back in. If the noise persists replace the fan.

The Video cards do run alot hotter now days! But Like Quazei said just locate which fan is the noisy one and try to clean it up. Carfule to discharge any static from your body by touching some metel before getting your hands in your computer. The CPU fan is the one on the Motherboard. The larger one.

Sorry, guys, but this isn't very helpful. The buzzing was just another symptom. I am idling at seventy degrees. I know that's not normal. Could I get some more help with that?

EDIT2: Never mind, I turned off my fan and started idling at 70.

You say you turned off your fan? If so you need to turn it back on or get a new one. Also try the program Rivatuner it will help you adjust your fan speed.

Sorry about that - I meant the big fan that I had placed against the side of my computer to cool it down.

It's not either of the fans - I stopped both with a Q-tip as suggested but the sound continued. Is it my GPU's fan? One of my friends said it could be the processor. What does this signify? How can I fix it, and how is it related to the overheating?

One last thing - today the computer started crashing to shutdown. It's not when there's a strain on the CPU or GPU, or when the GPU overheats; it seriously just seems random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom