Need help upgrading video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude just get like a 500~600 watt power supply (if you don't plan on using SLI), or 700~800 watts (if you plan on SLI), and trust me you'll never need to worry about Power Supply again.

yeah, you are the reputable builder.

The parts I suggested use your current motherboard so you won't have to buy Windows. your version is an OEM version, and can't be transferred to a new mobo.

If you want to build, build it. Plenty of help here to do it, and it isn't hard at all.

A bigger PSU will allow a better GFX card.

I'm going to build it myself, but I wanted a website to look at to familiarize myself with terms. For instance, I have no idea what 'OEM' and 'mobo' mean. I'm a complete and utter newbie when it comes to the hardware aspects of PCs, even if I have familiarized myself with software. Basically, I know how to work it but not how to build it. I'd like to and intend to learn how to build it.

Dude just get like a 500~600 watt power supply (if you don't plan on using SLI), or 700~800 watts (if you plan on SLI), and trust me you'll never need to worry about Power Supply again.

Power supply is connected to what? The CPU? Is a separate component entirely?

OEM = Original equipment manufacturer. Basically this means you get the part and nothing else, as compared to "retail" which would include stuff like extra cables and whatnot.

Mobo = short for "motherboard"

GFX = graphics

The PSU, or power supply unit, connects to a lot of things, but not the CPU, or processor, directly. The PSU has two sets of cables that plug into the motherboard, as well as plugs for the hard drive(s), optical drive(s), fan(s), graphic card(s), and anything else that needs power.

Ordered. Will I be able to play Crysis?

The good news is that your motherboard can handle a better processor... the bad news is that is can only go up to a Pentium D dual-core, not a Core2Duo. But that is an improvement, anyway.

HP also uses off-the-shelf parts, so you could replace your PSU with no problem.

Your motherboard can also handle 2 gigs of RAM (2 x 1 gig).

Basically, you could pop in a better CPU for $125:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-LIE-L9E1-GP 95mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Grab 2 gig of RAM for $40 (no need for performance RAM):
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - OEM

Snag a better PSU for $70:
Newegg.com - FSP Group AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply 110-120/ 220-240V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, TUV, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

And, of course, a faster card for $180:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR Superclocked GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

With shipping you'd be around $400, so you could spring for a hard drive and a case fan, too.

Yep. You won't be able to use DX10, as it is Vista only, but you will be able to play on at least medium graphics or better.

Congrats.

Thanks. Now I just hope I tear nothing up putting it together.

OEM = Original equipment manufacturer. Basically this means you get the part and nothing else, as compared to "retail" which would include stuff like extra cables and whatnot.

Mobo = short for "motherboard"

GFX = graphics

The PSU, or power supply unit, connects to a lot of things, but not the CPU, or processor, directly. The PSU has two sets of cables that plug into the motherboard, as well as plugs for the hard drive(s), optical drive(s), fan(s), graphic card(s), and anything else that needs power.

You won't. Since you are swapping out parts, you will just put the new in just like you take the old out. Anything you have a problem with or are concerned about just holler. We've all been there, and we all survived. Well, most did, and those that didn't are no longer with us. :D

The hardest part is the power supply, and that's because all the wires will freak you out. As long as you plug in the two to the motherboard, you opticals, hard drive, and GFX card, you have it whipped. The hard drive and opticals are the same unless you have a SATA drive, but the plug is distinctive for them.

Nah, you won't have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom