Need help upgrading video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What resolution do you intend to play at? Its pretty important when it comes to picking a video card. For that matter how high will your monitor's resolution go?

On some of the higher end games you might need a video card with more ram than the one above depending on the resolution, and of course which games you play.

Wow if you can wait untill christmas eve than I would suggest this one instead.

Newegg.com - Leadtek PX8600GT TDH 512MB GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

it wouldn't matter if he played at 800 by 600 or 1920 by 1200. His CPU is weak already and 8600GT aint a hard performer either.

this card should do the trick:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100208L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

and lower power comsumption just to be safe with the HP power supply.

Well, guys, I got the video card and it works like a dream. I got to thinking, though, that my power supply and CPU being limited will eventually become a problem, as well. Does anyone have suggestions on what to use to update these? I've been reading into how to build your own computer, but was also wondering if it would be just as effective to simply work with what I have now and expand. Is the current PC expandable? I have up to $500 to work with now.

I have the same PC still, unchanged save for the video card update suggested by darksideleader. I'm capable of running most games now high-end, but I remembered the weakpoints of the PC hinted at and have recently become interested in learning how to build PCs, so why not experiment with this one?

With 500$ you could get a nice CPU easy along with a decent mother board and probably a better power supply. For me 500$ would be more then enough for the three, but seeing how some guys spend well over 1.5K on their computers on here. Then they'll probably just ignore my post and go on rambling about expensive and useless parts.

Aye, but my problem is what CPU and what power supply? How and what and what's compatible. I'm a complete newbie at this.

The good news is that your motherboard can handle a better processor... the bad news is that is can only go up to a Pentium D dual-core, not a Core2Duo. But that is an improvement, anyway.

HP also uses off-the-shelf parts, so you could replace your PSU with no problem.

Your motherboard can also handle 2 gigs of RAM (2 x 1 gig).

Basically, you could pop in a better CPU for $125:
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Dual-Core Processor - OEM
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RR-LIE-L9E1-GP 95mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Grab 2 gig of RAM for $40 (no need for performance RAM):
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - OEM

Snag a better PSU for $70:
Newegg.com - FSP Group AX500-PN ATX2.2 500W Power Supply 110-120/ 220-240V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, TUV, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

And, of course, a faster card for $180:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR Superclocked GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

With shipping you'd be around $400, so you could spring for a hard drive and a case fan, too.

The power supply upgrade isn't inherent with a new CPU or motherboard? I know the CPU and motherboard are separate components, but what determines your power supply? I'd prefer to push the PC to high-end.

I've been reading over the forums and have found websites for reputable custom pc builders in Canada and the UK, but are there any for the USA?

yeah, you are the reputable builder.

The parts I suggested use your current motherboard so you won't have to buy Windows. your version is an OEM version, and can't be transferred to a new mobo.

If you want to build, build it. Plenty of help here to do it, and it isn't hard at all.

A bigger PSU will allow a better GFX card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom