Dell Vostro 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
I'm getting a laptop, and the one I'm liking is the Vostro 1500.

Here are the specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD+RW Read and Burn CD and DVD
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
No Webcam Option

Is the upgrade to 2.0 GHz from 1.4 worth it for $130? I honestly don't know how much of a difference that upgrade would make. And how does this build sound? I'm not really wanting a gaming rig, but I did want a dedicated graphics card cause I hate integrated. Basically I'm wanting something decent for under $800.

Anyone got any suggestions/critiques?

As always, thanks in advance guys.

I got the same laptop except I went for the 2.2ghz processor for the 2mb extra cache, the extra 200mhz just a bonus. Also got the 8600gt.

Also, it was worth it to upgrade to the 2.0ghz. 1.4ghz is way too low.

But since you don't really want it for gaming, the set up you got right there will do the job just fine. And I can tell you the 1500 is a pretty sweet laptop. Nice and sturdy and cool looking. And the vostro comes with basicly no crap pre installed.

That set up you got there will still play a lot of games though.

Yes upgrading to 2.0ghz from 1.4ghz is a good option. As the upgradation will enhance ur speed as well. And for the DELL lappy it's the best as i think.

If you're gaming to any degree, I'd strongly recommend and 8600M GT in place of that 8400... if cost's an issue, downgrade to the T5270 instead. I'd prefer having an 8600M-GT/T5270 rather than an 8400M-GS/T7250. The cpus are the same, but one's clocked 600MHz higher, which will be faster, but you've already got a dual core in there and it'll run fine at 1.4GHz for a lappy, and it'll hardly bottleneck an 8600GT at all, whereas the the 8400GS would definitely bottleneck the T7250.

good luck

I haven't heard much about laptop cpu overclocking. Is that a viable option, or is heat too much of an issue? Cause if it's an option, I'd totally get the 1.4 and the 8600.

So I got my laptop yesterday and it's very nice :)
I went with what Merkwürdigliebe suggested, getting the 8600 and the 1.4.

I'm liking it so far, but I haven't done a fresh install yet. The laptop is definitely very professional looking.

Yay :)

Good to hear. Can't wait to see how it performs. Just make sure, before you reinstall, that you have XP drivers for everything and you should be fine, like audio drivers, drivers for the integrated Wifi, etc etc..

Yeah, I've reformatted quite a few times so I know the drill. I'm stoked to see how this performs (which is funny, because it won't even be a gaming machine haha).

The desktop I own I built, so this is my first prebuilt. I forgot how much garbage comes installed. Ugh. I'm just going to use my oem xp home cd for the reinstall and not even deal with the dell disc.

You should run games smoothly at 800x600 or 1024x768. I was looking at this lappy too, i just wish they offered a more powerful option for graphics, like an 8800 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom