External Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJChris

Beta member
Help ! :(

I used a friends external drive on my computer and it worked fine. I copied videos from the drive and they work fine on mine. Now we hooked it up on his laptop and the files will no longer play. They are all still on the drive. We hooked it up on my laptop and they worked fine again. Just not on his.
Any help would be great !

Thanks Chris

Can you 'see' the files on your friends PC when the external drive is hooked up?

Do you get any messages when you try and play the files?

What type of files are they?

Thanks for the response.

Yes you can see all the files on the drive . We just tried it on another computer and still no good. Everything only works on my computer. The files are pretty much AVI types and MP3's. He says he can play the MP3's but they open up in ITUNES and then put them in his ITUNES. The vids wont open at all. Its like the drive synced to my computer or something.

Ahhh ok, now you mention iTunes...

How did you put the files from your PC onto the external HDD? - I'm on MSN and GTalk if you want to chat instead of going back and forth...if not feel free to keep posting back via this way :)

Sounds like his default MP3 player is iTunes, ask him to right-click on an MP3 and select OPEN WITH and the try WinAmp or WMP or whatever he has installed.

Try the same with the vids, right-click and OPEN WITH, then again, select WinAmp or Media Player.

I would love to do that but I am currently in Iraq :freak: and am not able to open up MSN type systems on the Govt computers.

He actualy doesnt want to use ITUNES. We right clicked and tried to open with WMP and it says can not locate file. I dont get it LOL. When we take the file from his hard drive and put it on his computer.

I just tried to play a movie file in WMP and got this message.

Windows media player cannot find the file.If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed , or deleted.

If I transfer the file from the drive to his desktop it plays. When I transfer it back to the drive I get that message. :confused:

I think it may be a file assocication problem. You need to associate a program to play the tunes and vids.

Or possibly the external hard disk is having issues with your buddies pc in someway.

So when you drag them to the desktop it plays? - What application does it play in?

It plays in WMP. I right click on file and try and open them in WMP but get that message. Its driving me nuts.

Hmmm, i'm not too sure where to go next to be honest. I'll have a look around but in the meantime, hopefully someone else can input something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom