What's the difference between oem and retail XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oem parts you just get the product. retail you get all the goodies along with things you might not need.

Jerigorn,

The retail version is exactly what it suggests. it's the version that all retail stores like Worst Buy or wait... Best Buy has on their shelves.

The OEM version. Sometimes when you shop at on-line web retailers, these resellers will buy a bulk of the OS at a time and resell it to the general public. (I'm not sure how legal that is...) anyway the OEM version can sometimes be referred to the version that's installed on new PC like Dell/HP/IBM...etc.

Either way... don't worry... both versions have the same goodies...you're not missing out.

Retail comes with a fancy box and folder and blah blah blah. OEM comes with a piece of hardware and just a package with CD and CD-Key,. They are both the same CD you just dont get all the fancy stuff and you ave a heck of alot of money.

Support for what? The support you get at Dell/HP/IBM is not going to be much better than the support you'll find on computer forums like this. I can tell you from first hand experience the level of incompetence you'll get from Dell's tech support.

The only problem i've heard of with oem xp is that once you install it, it can't be installed anymore. For instance, i heard about this guy who got oem xp and then bought all new parts but the oem didn't recgonize them, it only recgonized the orginal parts. So, he had to go out and buy a whole new oem.

ShoobieRat said:
One word: Support

As in, OEM gets you no support from the company.

OEM is WYSIWYG

Right, buying Retail Box, will enable you to contact Bill Gates directly, he will answer your queries, and if your PC breaks down, he will come and repair for you as well.

other benefits:

1) you'll be given a manual for windows XP, which will remain as good as new until your grand son will open it for you.

2) you'll be provided with a shrink wrapped box so that you can put it aside of your PC, telling other people that you have actually invested almost double buying the Retail Box Windows XP.

See after so many advantages, why are you thinking buying OEM, just beacuse Retail comes in Holographic CD Form?

C'Mon man, there isnt any diference in Retail/OEM, just of the packing.

I bought 4 X retail packages of Windows XP, (may be a possibility that support is more) as when I (once for trial) sent a query for a thing that I already knew, and then didnt checked my registered mail for few days, thinking that they might not reply soon, and when I opened my inbox oneday, there were 20+ mails from microsoft, waiting for my responce :)

I was somewhat impressed, they do care (BUT I HATE MONOLPOLY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom