Custom or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple solution if your on a small budget sub $400 and want to have a complete computer (keyboard, monitor) then prebuilt is the way to go.

If you want a high end computer with an unlocked bios and enough knowledge to know when a component goes wrong how to fix it or atleast acess to this knowledge.

If your looking for the ultimate extreme pc (2000+) but under confident in building it yourself contact your local shop and get them to assemble it. Should only cost $50-100 extra and it lets them deal with sorting out complex wiring, watercooling and DOA parts giving you peace of mind but the functionality and relative cheap cost of a home built pc.

dude, I'd like to know how your friend came to the conclusion that a Dell or HP computer is going to be faster than a custom... the whole idea of a 'clone' is a long gone and outdated concept.

Merkwürdigliebe;1318812 said:
dude, I'd like to know how your friend came to the conclusion that a Dell or HP computer is going to be faster than a custom... the whole idea of a 'clone' is a long gone and outdated concept.

I dunno where he got the idea, I was trying to tell him that custom's let you do so much more than pre-built computers. Custom are cheaper as well, for example a dell xps overclocked to 4GHz is around $3000 to $4000, where you can get a e8400 in a custom and get over 4Ghz for $2000 less. Btw, I was just in Montreal for vacation, man do you guys have too much snow, didn't you just break the record for most snow fall recorded?

It just occurred to me a prebuilt pc that would give some budget custom pcs a beating is the PS3. 9 core cpu and a decent graphics processor main let down is the Ram capacity and the poor choice of OS's available i.e. only one that I know of. quite good value for money performance though

It just occurred to me a prebuilt pc that would give some budget custom pcs a beating is the PS3. 9 core cpu and a decent graphics processor main let down is the Ram capacity and the poor choice of OS's available i.e. only one that I know of. quite good value for money performance though

A 9 core cpu??? I don't think there are even any games or programs that utilize all 4 cores in a quad core.

It uses a linux OS with especially optimised programs for the PS3's specifications. Linux has always been ahead of the times in relation to the Big OS's.

Ah, ok, I wasn't thinking about Linux running that. I dunno why Linux doesn't create a version to sell in retailers, I mean they could use the Linux Kernal and go mainstream to compete with Microsoft and Apple.

Because the whole idea behind linux is that it isn't mainstream and most likely never will be.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't have the program support other operating systems do and as such will be relegated to use mainly in a coding related environment.

I dual boot with Fedora because its what the computer engineering department at my university uses, and so for the sake of simplicity I use it too.

Yeah I see what you mean, I didn't think about programs not being supported by Linux. It is best for coding, or so I have heard. I think alot of big companies use it, google for example uses Linux if I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom