IDE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Viksta

Ninja Stargate Addict
with my new system coming wednesday (minus CPU), i have a spare IDE hard drive floating around which i wanna put to use, but i only have one IDE slot in my new mobo (im getting a P5N-D), so will it be possible for me to run my IDE CD-Drive and the Hard drive in Master/Slave combination or is that ONLY for hard drives?

Put HDD as master and optical drive as slave, connect both to the IDE ribbon cable, go to BIOS to set it.

wow thanks a lot! the old HDD is 120GB, so i thought i could use it as an additional data storage for videos and apps that dont need performance or even docs

heh heh i had a 5.59GB drive on my old win98 PC - ah the good old days

anyhow, i just thought it would be nice to have 620GB rather than 500 xD. Btw does raid only work with identical drives? will be be able to do any raid or is that completely and utterly ridiculous?

RAID will not work (AFAIK) on different headers like that (SATA & IDE)... They would both have to be on an identical header, and the chipset would have to support RAID.... (going through hardware RAID..... I am not familiar with software RAID set ups)...

Here is the 'old days' for ya....
486.jpg

RAID will not work (AFAIK) on different headers like that (SATA & IDE)... They would both have to be on an identical header, and the chipset would have to support RAID.... (going through hardware RAID..... I am not familiar with software RAID set ups)...

486.jpg

I have that exact processor. I also have some AM486's. The processor is older than me -.-

img0007xx0.jpg

486.jpg

Haha, we have one of those in a parts drawer in our backroom at work actually... along with an AMD K6, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom