SATA drive or Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumdum8684

In Runtime
Ok before every one reams me for not searching...I did! I tried everything that i could find about it and i'm not sure that it is the SATA HD but i thought i would post it and maybe someone could help. ok here goes...

Parts...
Western Digital 200GB SATA-150 (WD2000DJ)
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
the rest is in my sig...

Anyway here is what i have done so far...I put together my PC and everything seems to work...i fought with the SATA drive and finally i thought got it to work...I installed the drivers and then selected my drive...it then began to copy windows to the hard drive. During the copying process it errored out on three files(don't remember the names) but every time i pressed Retry and it continued copying the files. After it's done copying the files it goes to start windows and then says "Windows cannot continue setup" or something like that. I'm lost what to do...I'm installing windows on an original CD and its PRO. If you have any other questions i'll try and answer them...i'll also try to get the file names if that will help at all.

ok i was thinking about it...

I have a 20GB POS HD that is using IDE. Would there be a problem installing windows on that hard drive and then ghosting it to my 200GB SATA HD? What do you guys think?

are you sure about your CD working well?

try copying the CD to some other drive, and see if the same errors are coming. as if yes, then means your CD must have some minute crack(s) which your Optical Drive in unable to read.

Is the SATA harddrive formatted in the NTFS file system? When I tried it, I had to put an old IDE drive with Win XP on it and use XP's disk utility to format the SATA drive into NTFS, then I got XP to load onto the SATA drive.

ok...here are the answers to the questions...

yes its formated with NTFS

I changed the memory CAS in the Bios to what it is rated at so that might be the problem...i'll change it back to auto detect...and see if that works...if not i'll try taking out one of the chips...if not that then i'll try some of my dad's POS memory...lol

thanks for your help guys

Edit: I'll keep you guys posted...

AG3 you were perfectly right...even though my kingston was rated at a certain speed i dialed it down to what my Bios thought it should be and windows installed first try...thanks so much.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom