Overclocking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm because I can't tell from replies etc. You did lower the multi for the RAM on your mobo. This will allow a high CPU overclock without overclocking your RAM to extremes, and ensure all temperatures are ok. I'm running the same board (alas, with a plain old e6320) and the temps given by different programs can differ a lot. Also, run memtest to ensure your RAM is ok, the first 4 tests should show what errors there may be then get back to us

My RAM is running at the normal 800mhz since it is running at a 1:1 ratio to the fsb and is DDR2 RAM. How important is it to be "Prime stable?" The computer crashes after around 20 minutes of prime testing but is able to do anytihng else. (I've been playing crysis for about 1.5-2hrs just fine.)

I had my rig 5 hours prime before it crashed. It would sometimes hang or BSOD if I was using it while making music. Got sick of losing work so I just went back to the last good settings I had. You got some nasty vdroop going on there.

edit: Is it just me or is 1.56 too high for a 3.6ghz?

At 1.5625vcore my system still wasn't stable at 3.6ghz. So, I brought it back down to 3.5ghz and have been running Prime95 for an hour. The temps have been mid to high 60's, going as high as 70C for 1 or 2 seconds. Are these temps alright for full load, since my computer will rarely be at full load?

EDIT: Idle temps are 35C-38C.

It seems that my temps are all over the place. When idle, the temps are around 33C, when gaming (Crysis) the temps are around 40-45C, but after about an hour of Prime95, the temps get very close to 70C. Any ideas on what could cause this extreme change in temps?

you've got a quad, 70's are more then safe, although may actually lower the life span of the CPU (not something you'll notice, you'll upgrade by the time anything might even happen)

if your ram is running at a 1:1 ratio to the FSB, doesn't that mean your ram will kill your stability? as you overclock the CPU (if your using FSB increases) then your RAM will be overclocked as well, and those ram sticks can't overclock nearly as well as CPUs can.

being stable at long periods of 100% load is important, because it means that you'll have a significantly smaller chance of having a BSOD or other related crash or hardware failure. as thirdshift mentioned, having a PC die while doing work is the worst... stability tops a tiny bit of increased performance anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom