help replacing cd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ez0k

Solid State Member
i just bought a micron millennia pentium II 400 mhz 128 mb ram computer at an auction for 10 dollars. i reformatted the hard drive and got windows 98 installed and running successfully. but i noticed the cd drive that was originally in the computer is beat up and very dirty. so i snagged another replacement cd drive at the action to replace the dirty one with. im having some problems gettin gthe computer to reconize the new cd drive and i dont know what to do.

the old cd drive that the computer came with is a sony cd-rom drive unit model no. cdu701. and the one im trying to replace it with is a mitsumi cd rom drive model no. crmc-fx240s.

i took the case off and plugged in the new cd drive and pressed insall new hardware in the control panel. then i found out that i need to install a driver (?) of some sort to get it to work properly. so i went online on my laptop and dloaded the driver for the cd drive and tryed to install it. durring the installation the com. told me to insert the windows 98 se cd. so i did but it said it couldnt locate a file (mtmminip.mpd) so i said skip file knowing the drive probably wouldnt work. so when i tryed to use the cd drive it said drive not ready. when the computer took me to the reasons it isnt working it said file mtmminip.mpd is not installed.

so i think i need to find this file but its on the windows 98 disk? i really need help figuring out this problem ive been trying all day and i havent gotten it to do anything more then open. (maybe i can use it for a cup holder :)

yea but i cant get that file off the cd bc the cd drive isnt working

edit: well what i did was hook up the old cd drive and then installed the new cd drive and windows SAYS that it has no problems but its still not showing up as a drive ??? now im reallllly confused but farther then i was earlyer today. lol

Do a search for that file on your computer. It may be hidden away in a windows folder. I often come across this situation and find the files needed in windows/system32/drivers.

You shouldnt need to install drivers for a CD drive anyway. Do you ahve all the jumpers set up right and cables connected correctly? Is it a new driver? It may be duff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom