Switching hard drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyVanilly

Beta member
Hey, I just got a used hp pavilion 514n computer and I want to use a different hard drive with it. Both harddrives have WinXP on it, so I switched them up. I entered the setup of the hp and looked for some kind of IDE detection. It had an Auto setting for identifying the hard drive, so I continued booting up, but nothing happens. None of the other options allow me to detect a new harddrive. Any ideas on how i can get my hard drive to boot up?

The new harddrive that you switched, did it have XP arlready loaded on it? Because if it did, then the version of XP on there is looking to load divers from the computer it was taken from, not the new one. Secondly, can your computer recognise the drive? If not, have your Bios search for it.

As am addendum, chen the jumpers on the harddrive as well, making sure it is set to master if it is the primary harddrive on the IDE channel.

Ok, the new hard drive i'm trying to put in has WinXP pro, while the old one has WinXP home.

I don't think it's recognizing the drive since windows isn't loading. I've tried to make my BIOS detect it using Auto (when selecting hard drives) which should notice the switch.

So, if it's looking for drivers, how do I make it look for new drivers to fit it's new computer?...

(sorry if message is confusing, i'm confused as well :confused: )

Jumpers are positioned correctly ( on cable select with only 1 HD attached )

If you have the windows CD they it would probably be easier just to wipe the whole driver and start again. Theres much less messing around, and you can always transfer your data from your old drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom