SATA and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadRussian

Baseband Member
Ok well on thursday all the components for my new computer came, i hook everything up within an hour, everything works fine. i put in the XP install disk and boom, it gives me the BSOD. it said STOP: 0x0000007B (blahblah)

i looked up what this is and apparently its a hard drive issue. i read more and it seems that when you install XP it needs to be on an IDE hard drive or have the SATA drive in compatibility mode. so i hook up one of my old hard drives which is IDE and disconnect my new one and i know you cant startup windows because of serial protection and what not so i boot from the XP cd and try to reinstall but to no avail. im stuck, i tried a friend's vista cdrom just to see if installation worked and everything was fine so its not the hard drive.

if it is the hard drive please help, i can replace it if needed but i'd rather not

i haven't tried the compatibility mode because im not sure how to set it but help with this would be appreciated.

BIOS sees the hard drive and it shows the correct capacity and everything

my specs:

intel core 2 quad Q6600
xfx 680i LT SLI mobo
EVGA 8800 GTS 512mb
4gb OCZ ram (2048mb/stick)
liteon 20x dvd optical drive
western digital caviar 400GB SATA hdd
seagate U9 80gb hdd(old IDE)

pic:

i'm posting this from my laptop.

i took the pics with my laptop camera as well, sorry for the bad quality

id say mobo my moms laptop did this and then it died altogether so... idk might be something to check out

also i saw you are trying to install xp? i also see you have 4gb of ram listed in your specs... if you know already sorry for repointing it out but xp does not support 4gb of ram... so you might want to try just one stick and see if it works for you... but it could still be a faulty mobo issue

i know xp does not support 4gb of ram, but i have the windows vista upgrade cd which i am going to use after installing XP

this is why im tryng to do it in the first place

ahh i see well you still might want to try pulling out one stick just for the xp install and then adding it later

ahh i see well you still might want to try pulling out one stick just for the xp install and then adding it later

i just tried this but it still didnt work, i also tried swapping between the 2 sticks

i also tried installing the sata drivers through a cd but apparently xp installation only reads floppy discs which is completely retarded.

hmm well you should be able to change the floppy drive to a usb flash drive and load the drivers on that... but if not 2 choices get a internal floppy drive for like 10-15 bucks or get an external for like 35-50...

but even then... im still leaning towards a bad connection or something wrong on the mobo itself. like i said this same thing happened to my moms laptop it worked fine then stop errors then nothing so... idk you will have to do some experimenting if using a floppy drive to install drivers works wonderful but if not... id seriously look into exchanging your board or warranty repair

i have an external floppy drive and i went to the WD website but they only have drivers for a CD so thats a problem right there.

and the second part - only problem is ive never had an OS installed so i dont think it has anything to do with the mobo

no im saying that the motherboard was damaged somehow and now there is a little short somewhere that is causing problems and not allowing you to install the os

no im saying that the motherboard was damaged somehow and now there is a little short somewhere that is causing problems and not allowing you to install the os

ok well i doubt the motherboard is damaged because vista installation worked just fine

i just think its something with xp and sata

some more help on this would be nice

...wait im confused if vista installs then whats the problem???

if im not understanding correctly you might also want to go into bios and see if sata is enabled and if not enable if so though try disabling it... bear with me a buddy has a sata drive in his laptop but to install an os he has to disable sata in the bios... something weird with his laptop but it cant hurt to try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom