want to upgrade computer, know next to nothing, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armando

Beta member
I have a one year old Compaq computer that I would like to upgrade. It has microsoft windows XP on it. It has a Pentium 4 with 2.4 GHz, 1GB of ram, and a GeForce 4 Ti4200 with AGP8X. I am fine with harddrive space. I use my computer mostly for playing 3d games, so those are the areas I think I should be upgrading right?

I have two problems with my computer- its performace at times, but most of all: The spy/adware! I have tried spykiller, spybot, Jimmy Surf, and Adaware, and set my browser security to high, but nothing seems to keep the pop ups and new spyware away! Somone please help.

Thanks for the Advice, Armando

Your ram seems fine, i would upgrade to a 2.8ghz or above, and if you want a better Graphics card go for a gforce fx 5950 - 6800 or an ati radeon 9800pro or above.
do a virus scan on your pc to see if it's clean.

uhhh scan for virusus if you dont have norton get AVG its the best free antivirus out there in my opinion I use it; www.grisoft.com (the FREE version). and get GOOGLE pop up stopper I use that too and i never have probs with popups

as for your hardware goes what kind of ram do you have?? cause i would upgrade to a 2.8C pentium 4 adn you need at least pc3200 for that processor and your video card?!?!? dam man. if you dont want to spend $500 on a graphics card get the geforce FX 5700 ultra!! that thing will play any new game out with ease. and its only 170 buck

what do you mean about my graphics card? "dam man" sorry I dont get what ur trying to say

Your Graphics card is GeForce 4 Ti4200.
If U play a lot of games with heavy graphics, then upgrade it.
Your processor and all are fine and can take U further.:)

dont bother with the processor. its plenty sufficient. upgrade the vid card (the latest, in answer to what about the card, is a $500 vid card x800, very fast but I'm gonna wait for price drops). If you want u can also look at the speed that the mem runs, if the mbd supports it I hope you have 2 512 to take advantage of the dual channel DDR.

i suggest u use Mozilla/firefox , instead of Internet Explorer. LINK ,its better/safer/faster. Mozilla does everything web related (i think, i didnt get it) Firefox is a stripped version of Mozilla for quick web browsing (i do have, and love it)
---------------------------------------------------
mozila/firefox automatically block popups, and is less vaulnerable to online attacks, cause it stores its information somewere else and ina different format witch most programs are not written to take advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom