Project UV Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Hey everyone! I'm starting my first basic "Case Mod"! The case is a Lian-Li PC-7 Plus and will be the starting point of my new computer.

My current goal for "Project UV Blue" is to create a case based on black and blue colors only (I know its been overdone) which will showcase numerous blue LED lighted components as well as UV Blue everything else.

I went out to MicroCenter today and purchased a few goodies to start off this project. A total of ~$300 was spent today and I'm not even close to finishing up the water cooling loop and I haven't purchased most of the basic materials. I bought the actual case (Lian-Li PC-7 Plus) a Danger Den radiator (X-Flow Xtreme 2), a Danger Den pump (D5-12 Volt Circulating Pump), 10 feet of 1/2" UV Blue tubing (PrimoFlex), a bottle of Light Blue PC Pure coolant (PrimoFlex) and a small package of blue thumb screws (LinkDepot).

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00684.jpg

I was actually quite surprised to find an aluminum case for only $89.95 (MicroCenter's having a BYOPC 20% off sale), let alone a quality Lian-Li. Albeit the case itself doesn't have many innovative or amazing features, it is plain sexy, black and doesn't have a door! This was exactly what I was looking for except the exclusion of a window... but thats no matter, It'll be more fun to cut open a window myself. Did I mention its ALUMINUM?

To Do List said:
  • Finish the water cooling loop (Resevoir, GPU/Chipset waterblocks)
  • Order the UV Blue and clear acrylic
  • Paint the inside of the case black
  • Install the side panel window
  • Trace out the UV Blue acrylic backings
  • Cut out the acrylic backings

Please! Help me out by suggesting things, commenting, insulting my ideas/work etc.

I've figured out how to combat the problem of being a first timer at cutting things by not doing it myself. I've got a grand-dad that can do all the hard work for me lol. I'll be the designer... but I'll get him to do the work since he's a technician anyways.

I'll be buying all my parts from Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come (this isn't an advertisement, just trying to help people out if they are actually good), I was recommended them by jfenwick and he seems to know a whole lot about modding, dremeling, etc. Everything I can find locally will be purchased from MicroCenter.

Tonight I"ll be taping up the case so I can paint the inside black, do you guys think I have to disassemble it to paint the inside? I was thinking that I could just spray paint it while assembled.

Can anyone help me find a 8800 GTS (G80) compatible waterblock with 1/2" barb fittings? All the ones I've seen are for the G92... are they backwards compatible? It would be helpful if you could find them at Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come because then I can just have 1 big order rather then many orders from different sites

if you've got a paint shop around your area unscrew the top off and all the sides and take the frame and mobo tray to them and get them to powder coat the inside of your case. the case will last longer and the powder coat insures full coating.

You could paint the inside without taking the case apart but think of this as an investment, the more time you put into prep on the job the better quality the outcome....and if you are going to drop some serious cash you might as well as do it proper so people are blown away at your next LAN.

Also, if you take it apart it's easier to segregate the exterior from the interior rather than depending on a good tape job. You might find that its easier to take it all apart than tape everything.

Anyways, good luck! Remember it's 90% prep and only 10% painting! It's the the sanding and priming that will make the paint job pop.

Make sure you tag along with your grand-dad when he does the cuts for you, great skills to learn and that way next time you can do it yourself.

Since you asked for suggestions:

- before painting inside anyways, map out where you mobo will be and depending on the mobo tray maybe cut some holes so that you can hide a lot of wire management. I haven't worked with the PC-7 but Lian-Li's are sweet cases.

- pick up some blue shrink wrap for your cables

hmmm, I've already just taped up the top black lid part, otherwise everthing still attached to the case is silver now and will be painted

I was planning on just sanding lightly, and then painting, repeating for a few coats, but I might check out getting it powder coated or maybe even annodized (may be out of my budget)

@ aspire

as long as I didn't spend crazy amounts over Petra's price, I'd rather just buy it in person, no shipping hassles, simple returns etc.

and thanks for the waterblock links, I'll be sure to get that, it'll all be ordered late tonight or maybe tommorow

I'm uploading some pics of the actual case now

edit:

do you guys know how I can find places that will anodize or powder coat locally?

also, how do you unscrew the little circular screws with the circle dot in the middle

another edit:

I think I might just spray paint it on my own, I'll probably unscrew the top though for a better and clearer paint job since only the inside left of the case will be visible (rectangular window on the left) and only in the dark (covered with mobo mostly)

yet another edit:

anyone know how to post thumbnails from photobucket?

one more edit:

here are the case pictures, sorry for the terrible lighting (3 megapixel camera...)

DSC00691.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

I'm amazed at the quality of this case, the aluminum actually gets finger prints and you can see reflections in it. not to mention there was an included instruction sheet and extra schools

one more edit:

does this look like it will work with a G80? Danger Den 8800GTS Single Block - SLI Prep Products Model: DD-8800GTS [DD-8800GTS] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

I'd like to order from one site if possible... I'll probably call and ask, but w/e

yay the danger den sight said it is G80 only! woohooo

Danger Den :: Water Blocks :: Nvidia and ATI GPU and Ram Water Blocks :: Nvidia Video Card Water Blocks :: DD - 8800 GTS

last edit:

how exactly do you use heatshrink/sleeves etc.? I might buy some UV reactive sleeves and such

also, how should I arrange the fans? I need 3 fans right now, one for the front, 2 for the radiator

I was thinking of getting UV reactive, but then again, I think LED's would provide better lighting.

LOL, is that an autographed picture of Fatal1ty in the second picture?

you bet! I went to an event he had in Maryland and won a signed motherboard (~120) and an autographed picture lol

DSC00636.jpg

do you guys think its worth it to water cool my GTS? I don't think I can crank out much more performance without volt modding... maybe I'll sell my Eliminator and buy a cpu block instead

Why the **** not?

Im running a e6600 and a 8800gt perfectly fine with a mcr-220 and I don't have any heat issues.

With his 4200+ theres plenty of cooling performance there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom