I Did It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Some of you not too long ago might remember my story involving two resistors that I had mistakenly broken off my G92 8800GTS while installing my newly acquired Accelero S1.

My initial plan was to just RMA it, but I would've had to send it to California (I live in Canada) and the support people from XFX implied that they wouldn't cover it because it was more than likely that I damaged the card myself (I should've played dumb, I know..) But even so, as small as the resistors were, I think they would've noticed it when I RMA'd it and my request would've been denied.

ANYWAY, taking all this in mind, I decided to solder back the resistors myself - after a lot of hard work and stress, I actually did it - those microscopic resistors are sitting tight in their little spots and all contacts look good (to the left):

dscf0257ap8.jpg

dscf0258mg5.jpg

closeupmm5.jpg

If any of you have an 8800GT or 8800GTS, I really suggest you look down there just to get an idea of how small and difficult of a job that was. I'm just so relieved that I was able to do it, although the ultimate test will come when I have my computer up and running, so I'll keep you updated.

While I'm posting pics here.. I took up the task of stripping off the old inside paint job I did (it was terrible) from my Antec 900 and I sanded the inside surface with 400 grit sandpaper (I hadn't sanded it the first time). Cleaned it off really, really well and painted carefully. It's still not 100% perfect, but the most visible areas actually turned out really well. The small imperfections are going to be covered by the PSU and Mobo anyway, so I'm happy:

ninehundredbi6.jpg

Very nice. You should take clearer pictures. And the resistor on the way left is higher ;) But still, great work.

Also, does it work when you turn it on?

And the resistor on the way left is higher ;) But still, great work.

lol thanks - I was positioning the resistors with a friggin sewing pin :D no way I could've gotten them perfectly straight, the things looked like specs of dust... hahaha

Also, does it work when you turn it on?

I'm gonna see if I can find an old puter with a PCI-E bus just to test it out, I'd rather not endanger my RAM, CPU, mobo, fans, HDD, DVD, etc etc.. although I will have to probably use my PSU because whatever I find probably won't have a decent enough PSU to boot the thing, rather than gambling $800 or $900, I might only be gambling about $350 including the card itself, and whatever the guinea pig computer might cost me

Now you can start Vmodding that sucker. :)

but of course! :) after doing this, the vmod looks like a cakewalk (this was only my second legitimate soldering job on a computer piece) I will do it as soon as I confirm that the card is working A1

From the looks of this pic

closeupmm5.jpg

The one on the right wont work. These are called surface mount for a reason. There is barely any connection from the chip to the board with solder. After looking at the other pics it might work. But i would not bet on it. The reason i say this. Surface mount resistors, transistors and capacitors are sturdy outside, fragile inside.

So while they may look intact. The insides could easily be destroyed.

Only reason i know this. I worked for a company that made Home Theater equipment all in shop. So i have had over 5 years experience working with motherboard liek this and knowing if they will work or not.

Judging by the remark braz made that you hit them with a screwdriver. I wouldnt get my hopes up to high.

From the looks of this pic

closeupmm5.jpg

The one on the right wont work. These are called surface mount for a reason. There is barely any connection from the chip to the board with solder. After looking at the other pics it might work. But i would not bet on it. The reason i say this. Surface mount resistors, transistors and capacitors are sturdy outside, fragile inside.

So while they may look intact. The insides could easily be destroyed.

Only reason i know this. I worked for a company that made Home Theater equipment all in shop. So i have had over 5 years experience working with motherboard liek this and knowing if they will work or not.

Judging by the remark braz made that you hit them with a screwdriver. I wouldnt get my hopes up to high.

Actually, there looks like more solder on the right than on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom