cure for boredom (e6550)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i was forced to turn up to college about 2 hours early this morning and i've had the majority of this time to myself so i thought why not toy around with one of the new C2D computers in the open computer lab :D

the specs are:

C2D E6550
Gigabyte G33M-S2
3GB of what i think is either DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 (3x1GB)
stock cooler

managed to pull off a nice round 1GHz overclock to 3.33GHz using the stock cooler and stock volts with the memory running at DDR2-952. i ran out of courage when i got a disk read error at 3.5GHz (it passed POST but failed to load the OS) :p i'm sure i could have made that stable with a little more tweaking of latencies or some FSB/Vcore/Vdimm volts. i'm fairly certain it was just memory instability as i'd done my best to keep the timings "tight" (relative term because they weren't so tight to begin with). so i think this little beauty has proven itself nicely.

Wow, what kind of computers does your college buy that actually allow overclocking. Almost all prebuilt rigs have locked down bios that wont allow any changes.

Hehe.

My school has like celerons form the pentium age...

Its kind of a waste to buy high end CPUs when all people tend to do on them is browse/word process. And if you use a hardware reset card (actual name eludes me at the moment), they'll run fast for those purposes anyway.

Wow, nice OC.. Im not sure I would have the guts to do that an a school PC though.

thats because the ones in our school are locked down to oc'ing anyway...

(we both go to the same school)

besides, i dont know how far an A64 3000+ will oc in a shuttle case anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom