core2duo shows half speed in BIOS and Windows for one core

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishPaul

Banned
I'm setting up a windows XP SP2 PC for my buddy. He got a biostar P4M890 M7 TE motherboard with an intel core2duo 2.2 GHz (E4500 i think). I noticed that the system (given the specs) is running quite sluggish. After tweaking some BIOS settings and fixing some driver issues i got it to behave OK. However this problem persists:

1. When booting BIOS shows Main Proc: 1.1GHz, but then below says Proc Name: ... 2.2GHz.

2. in System Properties (WinKey+Pause) it shows first core as 1.1 and the second as 2.2.

I remember having this issue once before but i can't remember how if fixed it. I made sure to get up to date mobo drivers, applied hotfix 896256. Played with bios etc. Tired and stumped. Experienced tech.

Argh, I finally gave up and loaded 'default optimum settings' which did the f'n trick! Now the FSB is at 200 instead of 100. I'm just mad now because i combed through all the bios settings and could not find a way to alter FSB speed! Anyway, i still need some help with the multiplier concept.

I'm aware of the triad - FSB:CPU:MEM

My current settings:
FSB: 200 (can't change)
DRAM: 333 (for 667mgz)
CPU: 200 (can change from 200-400)

So i gather the DRAM multiplier is 2, and CPU is *11 since its a 2.2GHz proc. The question now is, can i tweak out any more out of the system? If i change the CPU frequency, how will that affect the timings? Can i up the FSB any higher?

Here are the specs of what the mobo supports:
BIOSTAR

I remember years ago messing with a mobo that had much more info, but its been years and i forgot the concept :(

okay... i wouldn't recommend updating bios yet but reset your bios settings to defult, next disable Intel speedstep.

Now get CPU Z and check how fast your CPU is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom